My first smoked pork butt..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

RevSmoke

Mar 2, 2022
Got my Yoder YS640s about 5-6 weeks ago and have worked up to my first long cook today with a pork butt. Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I did slow and low, at 200 for the first 10 hours and then bumped it up to finish off the 9 pound butt. Let me know what you think. The one issue that I could use help on is when I went to remove the butt, it was stuck to the grate (fat side down). Lost a little of the bark but not much. Any way to avoid that all together?
Congrats! That looks awesome! And welcome, you’re gonna love that Yoder more and more. I got mine in March and it’s been the absolute best.

That looks amazing! I know this sounds nuts but I learned to soak my pork butt overnight in root beer (yes really) and then pad dry/season for an incredible flavor. I learned this in Hawaii and I haven’t looked back since!
ok, now this I have to try… any specific type of seasoning to go with the rootbeer?

texas smokin

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 16, 2022
Dallas-Fort Worth
Congrats! That looks awesome! And welcome, you’re gonna love that Yoder more and more. I got mine in March and it’s been the absolute best.

ok, now this I have to try… any specific type of seasoning to go with the rootbeer?
Thank you so much! It tasted as good as it looks.

Latest posts