My first smoke-whole chicken

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by arporscheman, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Well, I am in the middle of my first smoke. I am doing this one with straight charcoal that has hickory in the charcoal. I made up my own rub last night so am hoping it works out ok. Temp seems to be fairly stable between 200 and 225. How long should I leave it on?

2. I am smoking my first chicken today as well. I am going skinless with mine 

3. I'm a little worried about not having a meat thermometer...

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

What temp are you smoking at? If your above 250* it should take no more than 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Poke the breast and thigh if you get clear liquid you should be fine. Keep in mind that smokes chicken is a bit pink when done.

5. Looking good! 

6. I have been between 200-225 for about 3 hrs so far. Have been doing good to keep it there.

Thanks Ungy!

7. Now my temp is down to around 175... Getting a little concerned about it getting too low...

8. reasoning

reasoning Smoke Blower

Add more charcoal!

9. I just did and its just maintaining at 175 for some reason... I have the lower vents open about 3/4 and the top just barely open.

10. reasoning

reasoning Smoke Blower

If you cant get the temp up finish in the oven

11. What temp in the oven?

12. reasoning

reasoning Smoke Blower

350? The birds should be almost done

13. I ended up throwing it on the grill. After adding more charcoal to the smoker, it only got back up to about 200 and after nearly 4 hrs, was still somewhat raw inside. Finished quickly on the grill.

14. reasoning

reasoning Smoke Blower

Well thats good you got It done.... My chickens didnt turn out as good as expected the rub I used wasnt good

15. reasoning

reasoning Smoke Blower

What kind of smoker do you have porscheman?

16. It's just a charbroil vertical smoker from Walmart. The rub I made was just a bunch of spices I had in the cabinet thrown together. I looked at Billbo's for a starting point/ratio reference and went from there. Turned out pretty good.

I think part of the issue with mine not getting done as expected was because it wasn't thawed enough when I put it on. I made a big mistake in trying to do my first smoke on a day that I had "plans" so I was just trying to get it going as soon as possible.

17. reasoning

reasoning Smoke Blower

Well next time your in a pinch for time spatchock the chicken cuts cooking time dramatically

18. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

With all that... a good job... looks yummo[​IMG]

Have fun and . . .

19. Is that supposed to say spatchock? What the heck is that.

Thanks oldschool! It was very good!

20. reasoning

reasoning Smoke Blower

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013