My first smoke-whole chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

arporscheman

Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
Northwest AR
Well, I am in the middle of my first smoke. I am doing this one with straight charcoal that has hickory in the charcoal. I made up my own rub last night so am hoping it works out ok. Temp seems to be fairly stable between 200 and 225. How long should I leave it on?

I just did and its just maintaining at 175 for some reason... I have the lower vents open about 3/4 and the top just barely open.

I ended up throwing it on the grill. After adding more charcoal to the smoker, it only got back up to about 200 and after nearly 4 hrs, was still somewhat raw inside. Finished quickly on the grill.

Well thats good you got It done.... My chickens didnt turn out as good as expected the rub I used wasnt good

It's just a charbroil vertical smoker from Walmart. The rub I made was just a bunch of spices I had in the cabinet thrown together. I looked at Billbo's for a starting point/ratio reference and went from there. Turned out pretty good.

I think part of the issue with mine not getting done as expected was because it wasn't thawed enough when I put it on. I made a big mistake in trying to do my first smoke on a day that I had "plans" so I was just trying to get it going as soon as possible.

With all that... a good job... looks yummo
icon_exclaim.gif

Have fun and . . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky