• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My first smoke crappie!!Mmmm

okcguy75

Joined Dec 19, 2010
Well the fish did not make it to the stove before everyone ate itLOL! After a few hours of searching for smoked crappie and came up empty as most dried them  out., I went a head and tried it any ways and was very surprised!

Smoked them at 220deg for about 30 min in apple and hickory chips in an electric smoker. I rub a little extra virgin olive oil top and bottom, spread butter all over the bottom of foil, season both sides of the crappie. As I stuck them in the smoker I made a TP with foil over the crappie so the smoke can get in but not dry out the fish.

Oh and  did not come out mushy, or dry..

This was done with a Cookout Cajun Injection electric smoker, which has work flawless so far.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
Great job. Yea as you found out there won't be a lot of recipes for smoking crappie since they aren't oily like a salmon or trout so they dry out really easy. If you were to smoke it I'd say you did it perfectly as you basically kind of grilled them (Temp wise I mean) but gave them a nice smoke flavor which I bet was awesome. We love to grill walleye, panfish etc. next time I should try it in the smoker. I have done them on the cedar planks but that just isn't the same as in the smoker.

shoneyboy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2010
 I love to smoke fish in general, but smoked Crappie (we call them  Sac-a-lait here in Louisiana)  seems to have one of the best taste of all of the fish to me
, especially when it's a slab that I caught...
....I have smoked bass and catfish too. They are good, but their something about Sac-a-lait that's hard to explain, unless you have experienced it.   Here are some pictures of some we caught....

okcguy75

Joined Dec 19, 2010
WOW! That is some good looking fish! I did Tilapia last night as well with the honey glaze and season for a friend and I did not get a chance to try a whole lot. He called back 20 minutes later and ask me if I could cook more lol!

I need to try the other fish but I have a hard time finding it in the stores during the winter time. I wish I can get back to the lake and catch some catfish and more crappie.  

okcguy75

Joined Dec 19, 2010
Great job. Yea as you found out there won't be a lot of recipes for smoking crappie since they aren't oily like a salmon or trout so they dry out really easy. If you were to smoke it I'd say you did it perfectly as you basically kind of grilled them (Temp wise I mean) but gave them a nice smoke flavor which I bet was awesome. We love to grill walleye, panfish etc. next time I should try it in the smoker. I have done them on the cedar planks but that just isn't the same as in the smoker.
Thanks! I am still shocked that they turned out so well and I was about to fry them up instead. Sad thing is all I have is one bag left and it is to cold to go crappie fishing right now. I need to try the other fish that I have been craving

Last edited:

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Shoneyboy ,

next time you smoke some sacalait or bass. Make some fish tacos w/ the fish. fantastic!

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.