My First Ever Smoker Is Apparently Newbie Proof

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

conchokitty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Phoenix Arizona
No credit to my smoking skills, but I bought a new smoker last month and no matter what I have smoked so far has been delicious.

Now perhaps I got a "one of a thousand." I don't know. But it is temp adjustable down to 175 degrees and up over 400 degrees.

Today is the biggest test... the first brisket.

In my view, this smoker works well in spite of not having real experience in smoking but I do know how smoke meats are suppose to turn

out from of enjoying superior BBQ done by professionals and experts from early childhood in Texas.

It is a vertical gas smoker, for convenience and ease of use; just not up to lugging logs and spitting them. Besides, that's men's work anyway.

I researched forums, articles, reviews, and comments for over a year as I struggled to make a gas grill try to behave like a smoker.

I went shopping at all the outdoor places like Cabala's, Bass Pro-Shops, etc for the one that popped out above the rest in my research of

the vertical smoker category and none of them even carried that brand. grrr

Decided to order one online and it was on back ordered everywhere, even directly from the factory. grrr

So, while waiting for the supply to return I happened to be shopping for an outdoor portable table and my sister pointed out their smoker

section. Jaded, I finally went over there just to prove to myself they didn't carry it either.

The first one in the line was my fruitlessly sought after make and model. Frankly I was shocked... and sticker shocked... almost $100 below

MSRP. Took me a moment to realize I had the smoker I had long sought in vein. This store was many many miles from home and had only learned

of it's existence just recently. Sportsman's Warehouse.

We got the guys at the store to put it in the car and used a dolly to get it into the house. Between my sister and me we managed to put it together

and find it a home in the backyard.

The rest is joy... I am smoking with a real smoker for the first time in my life and not wasting good money at BBQ restaurants that either can't make BBQ

or who's styles of BBQ is not that of Texas BBQ.

Now, I control the vertical and the horizontal and learning the way everyone else has... the hard way.

The smoker?
The Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24' wide body.
Heaven at last... a newbie proof smoker.

-CK

Congrats, sounds like you have done well! You are missing out on the opportunity to eat mistakes though... we all do it eventually. Glad to hear your enjoying your smoker, and I wish you many years with it!

Thanks Mossy! I am sure my mistakes will come, it did with that jury rigged grill I forced to act like a smoker for sure. The brisket is still going, put it on at 8:30 this morning. For all I know it will turn into a lump of coal hahahaha

The best part of this is that we get to eat our mistakes 

CK, I am sure that with all the experience here you should have no problems finding answers if you ever do have problems or questions.  Congrats on finding your choice, and at a reasonable price.  Many happy meals to you!  Steve

Congrats on finding the smoker of your dreams!!!! Hope the brisket turns out great for you...I'd been smoking for over a year before I got brave enough to try one...good for you! 

Hope the smoker keeps up the good food, but you are contributing to that goodness as well. I'll be keeping an eye on your threads as I'm looking at adding a propane smoker to my MES and I'm still deciding on the Masterbuilt Wide Body or the Smoker Vault 24.

Keep up the great smoking!

Hiya SH!

It surely is the smoker of my bang vs buck dreams. I will keep posting as I learn it's secrets and have learned a few already.

My year long research narrowed down my choices to the two you mentioned... Masterbuilt Wide Body & Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24

There is a long history written about the earlier introduced smoker Masterbuilt Wide Body and almost a cult following of it in forums.

I was ready to take the plunge and buy that one when the time was right.

About 6 months later, I started researching for smoking tips on YouTube and came across the Smoke Vault which I had not previously seen.

Then I went looking for reviews, feedback and owner comments on that one. What I found over time decidedly turned me towards it.

The Smoker Vault 24 appears to be the new kid on the block thus not as much history as the Masterbuilt Wide Body written about them by their owners.

With that said, the raves I had read was backed up over and over. It's loved by it's owners and very little written as to fault finding with it.

Perhaps a group could be added so as to aggregate the comments from it's users here? I think there are about 10 members who use it.

The brisket I smoked was a winner. First bite I had strong deja vu back to my childhood eating brisket. It kinda shocked me a little then I laughed.

That has never happened with any brisket I have eaten since leaving Texas.

-CK
Congrats on finding the smoker of your dreams!!!! Hope the brisket turns out great for you...I'd been smoking for over a year before I got brave enough to try one...good for you! 

Hope the smoker keeps up the good food, but you are contributing to that goodness as well. I'll be keeping an eye on your threads as I'm looking at adding a propane smoker to my MES and I'm still deciding on the Masterbuilt Wide Body or the Smoker Vault 24.

Keep up the great smoking!

Congratulations on the find, try Craig's List also, some folks don't have the patience to Smoke Meat and give upand sell them off. Ther was another Cal. member I mentioned that to earlier, and he's already found a Smoker.

hang in there and keep the smoke rolling "Blue",and...

Hiya SH,

Highly likely either will be happy trails for your rauchgenuss (german for "smoking pleasure").

Sometimes I tend to be a bit of a calculated risk taker about certain things.
goodluck.gif

-CK

Goodness Steve, I missed your comment! sorry!

Many happy returns to you!

Smoked a pair of Cornish game hens a few days ago... at 350 degrees for 1 hr 15 minutes.

peach wood...

Yummy!

Why didn't I do this years ago? A: The internet was too young & I knew no one who did this.

Folks like y'all on the internet sharing information and interests gave me the power & courage to do it.

-SH
CK, I am sure that with all the experience here you should have no problems finding answers if you ever do have problems or questions.  Congrats on finding your choice, and at a reasonable price.  Many happy meals to you!  Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky