My first chucky.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
In a smoker that is.

P7011016.jpg

Started out with a 2.5 pound chuck roast. Gave it a bath of worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. And put it in the smoker at 250 degrees using comp blend pellets for 5 hours. Pulled at 160 and panned with beef broth. Covered in foil. And put in a 325 oven for 2 hours.
Pulled at 210 when it was probe tender.

P7011020.jpg

The smell was incredible! Then I rough sliced. And put back in broth. These are going to get shredded and turned into french dip. Can't wait!

P7011025.jpg

Pretty nice! Locally meat prices have gone nuts! Chuck is $9.99, but NY STRIP is on sale for $6.99.:emoji_scream:...JJ

Pretty nice! Locally meat prices have gone nuts! Chuck is $9.99, but NY STRIP is on sale for $6.99.:emoji_scream:...JJ

Thanks! I know! Meat prices are sure strange at the moment. And I suspect them to get crazier. I bought this one back in Feb. I've been trying to replace what I use to keep a statue quo. But, not at 10.00 a pound.

First, congrats and enjoy. Love finding ways to enhance cheaper cuts, as they’re usually the most flavorful anyway.
Thanks! I know! Meat prices are sure strange at the moment. And I suspect them to get crazier.
Guess fortunate here as where I usually shop I’ve only seen beef go up some (not crazy), and pork and chicken pretty normal. I do see less items on sale and sometimes not as discounted as last year, but not bad. Strange how this is wildly variable by locale.

that there, will get er done!

Aw man those French dip sandwiches are going to be awesome! I highly recommend chef jimmyj chef jimmyj smokey au jus. I could just drink the stuff.

I have a chuck in the freezer that’s just hankering to be turned into a sammie now. Hitting Sam’s Club tonight, hopefully some beef will end up in the cart if it’s not crazy expensive.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
First, congrats and enjoy. Love finding ways to enhance cheaper cuts, as they’re usually the most flavorful anyway.

Guess fortunate here as where I usually shop I’ve only seen beef go up some (not crazy), and pork and chicken pretty normal. I do see less items on sale and sometimes not as discounted as last year, but not bad. Strange how this is wildly variable by locale.

Thanks. Prices vary here by store. If you do a bit of driving you can find things a bit cheaper. But not like it was before this covid. And ground beef? 6 pounds of 80/20 is 23.00!

Aw man those French dip sandwiches are going to be awesome! I highly recommend chef jimmyj chef jimmyj smokey au jus. I could just drink the stuff.

I have a chuck in the freezer that’s just hankering to be turned into a sammie now. Hitting Sam’s Club tonight, hopefully some beef will end up in the cart if it’s not crazy expensive.
Thank you. The juices from this are incredible.

Looks good Steve, ya must have lots of discipline I think I would of just devoured that and said heck with the dip

So who will be the first to resort to Smoked Tofu ? :emoji_astonished:

I've not tried smoking it but I'm a big fan of Tofu and eat it frequently in Asian dishs. Thai Green Curried Scallops, Asparagus and Tofo, is a favorite, as well as Spicy Mapo Tofo.
But, nothing replaces a great hunk of Beef!...JJ

Reactions: Steve H
That Chuck looks wonderful Steve, I could just about live on FD sannys, Like! I'll be off to Sam's Club later this morning to maintain supplies, we've kept everything stocked to the max the last few months waiting for another shutdown. Chicken and pork have stayed roughly the same, beef might be slightly higher overall. I have cards to the three large grocery stores here in Gilbert and keep my eye on the weekly sales, something can always be found at a decent price. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky