My First Cast Iron Skillet Cook....and not the last one either! (Heavy Qview)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Well after seeing all the CI meals being posted I broke down and bought two 8 inch skillets.

And decided to do the meal that SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan did here:

So thanks John! I did the red sauce one only and used Louisiana Red Hots as the sausage.

So following John's step by step I started with the pan with a bit of sauce in the bottom.
IMG_20200604_162408804.jpg

I had the time so I through the sausages on the grill to char them as they were already cooked.
IMG_20200604_165116742.jpg

Cooked up 2/3 box of Penne Rigate to add.
IMG_20200604_165143320.jpg

Then into the skillet for layer number one, as we are doing two layers of everything.
IMG_20200604_170122018.jpg

Then the sausage. And someone wanted some spinach, green peppers, and carmelized onions on hers......
IMG_20200604_170511932.jpg

Next layer
IMG_20200604_170916745.jpg

Now it's mozzarella cheese time. And once again someone wanted something extra on top like italian seasoning, rosemary, and parsley.....
IMG_20200604_171438831.jpg

And into the grill to get happy @375 or so for 30-45 minutes.
IMG_20200604_173426773.jpg

Once it was done I put them on the stovetop to cool down a bit.
IMG_20200604_175317793.jpg

And then plated up for the big taste test. Along with a small side salad....see I do actually eat vegetables sometimes :emoji_laughing:
IMG_20200604_175541623.jpg

We both loved it and will be trying other meals like this in the near future.

As recently stated, we had to rate it and I said 5 stars Sue said 4 stars (which changed this morning when she started getting hungry thinking about leftovers for lunch).

Really fun and easy.

Thanks for Lookin'

John

Last edited:
John that looks awesome man. Even better than the ones I posted for sure! I would eat either one of those pans. The CI and grill just adds some nice flavors and crunch to it unlike an oven and casserole dish can get you. Looks like you had a nice beverage to wash it down with as well! Always a necessity when grilling. You are on a role putting out some damn good looking stuff. Glad you enjoyed the pasta!

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Wow AZ!! Those are both amazing looking skillets/plates of food. Great job my friend and welcome to a whole new world of cooking. You are only limited by your imagination as pretty much anything is better on the grill and in CI as opposed to a baking dish and in the oven. Don't be afraid to get creative and put together some off-the-wall stuff. I know somebody who has done that :emoji_laughing:

LIKE!!
Robert

A tasty looking treat for sure! CI has quickly become a favorite way to cook for me...reminds me of mama's cooking growing up.

Fantastic looking meal! Don't you just love it when you give into peer pressure and it tastes so good

Ryan

That looks fantastic! Granted CI cooking requires a bit more upkeep. But I feel it's well worth it.
Thanks for the like Steve, and it is a bit more work and I agree with you though that it is worth it.

That's a good looking meal John. We have been using our CI much more in the last couple of years. I agree the little bit more upkeep that it takes is well worth it.
Thanks for the like Gator, and agree with your comments also.

Looks awesome John! Very nice meal. I bet those cast irons will get a good amount of use in the neer future!
Sowsage it was an amazing meal, already thinking what to do next!

John that looks awesome man. Even better than the ones I posted for sure! I would eat either one of those pans. The CI and grill just adds some nice flavors and crunch to it unlike an oven and casserole dish can get you. Looks like you had a nice beverage to wash it down with as well! Always a necessity when grilling. You are on a role putting out some damn good looking stuff. Glad you enjoyed the pasta!
Thanks John for the like, and the kind words brother! And yes cooking makes you real thirsty for some reason....:emoji_laughing:

John

John that looks awesome man. Even better than the ones I posted for sure! I would eat either one of those pans.

Most excellent looking CI cooks. I'd eat the contents of either pan, and leave the pan eating to Vol.

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
looks great John, hope ya didn't get filled up on that salad:emoji_wink:, i'm the same way I do like salads but not a lot at once.
Thanks Jim for the like, yea I overdosed on a fruit and vegetable diet some years ago and now Sue has to force me to eat the stuff.

Wow AZ!! Those are both amazing looking skillets/plates of food. Great job my friend and welcome to a whole new world of cooking. You are only limited by your imagination as pretty much anything is better on the grill and in CI as opposed to a baking dish and in the oven. Don't be afraid to get creative and put together some off-the-wall stuff. I know somebody who has done that :emoji_laughing:

LIKE!!
Robert
Thanks for the like Robert, and I agree that stuff tastes way better than a casserole dish in the oven. I am already thinking about what to do next!

A tasty looking treat for sure! CI has quickly become a favorite way to cook for me...reminds me of mama's cooking growing up.
Blues1 I remember always having cast iron growing up, was the go to when camping. Cornbread in a cast iron can't be beat....

Fantastic looking meal! Don't you just love it when you give into peer pressure and it tastes so good

Ryan
Thanks for the like Ryan, and the nice comments. Yes after seeing all the CI cook posts i figured I had enough cabinet space for a couple of small pans....:emoji_joy:

John

Looks Awesome, John!!
I gotta try that one of these days!!
Kinda like a "Deep-Dish" Pizza, without the Crust!!
Really looks tasty!!
Like.

Bear

Looks Awesome, John!!
I gotta try that one of these days!!
Kinda like a "Deep-Dish" Pizza, without the Crust!!
Really looks tasty!!
Like.

Bear
Thanks for the Like Bear, and I am glad I did give the cast iron a try, Sue couldn't believe how good it tasted. She has already come up with a meal idea for today.... :emoji_laughing:

As we have said before my friend "Happy Wife Happy Life!"

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky