My first butt with SMF support.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boomersooner

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
West End N.C.
Rubbed it with mustard and spices last night. Thanks for the mustard idea , I have used it with chicken but not a butt but it sounds good. Got a bit of a late start building the fire this morning, started with a bed of charcoal and will feed Mesquite chunks the rest of the day. Got the meat on at 9:15 Stay tuned! Almost time for the Dayton 500.

I'm curious if it will have a strong smoke flavor since you said you're using mesquite chunks all day. I've found that I can only use mesquite for about the first hour or so. But I also harvest my own wood, maybe the store bought chunks are different.

Lookin good, gonna be some good eatin ! I personally don't spray mine and it's always turned out tender ! Just my 2 cents ! Justin

Thanks, I have a question. When should I start spraying this with apple juice?
I usually will let it go for the first couple of hours.  Let it get some quality time with the smoke and then I start misting it with apple juice/vinegar combo.  Either way you cant go wrong!  Keep us posted. . . .

I'm curious if it will have a strong smoke flavor since you said you're using mesquite chunks all day. I've found that I can only use mesquite for about the first hour or so. But I also harvest my own wood, maybe the store bought chunks are different.

I use mequite the whole cook in my offset and long as you have it burning that thin blue smoke it wont be too strong. Mine never has been. We use alot of mesquite here because it the predominate wood here so it can be gotten anywhere at anytime.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky