• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My first butt with SMF support.

boomersooner

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 17, 2014
Rubbed it with mustard and spices last night. Thanks for the mustard idea , I have used it with chicken but not a butt but it sounds good. Got a bit of a late start building the fire this morning, started with a bed of charcoal and will feed Mesquite chunks the rest of the day. Got the meat on at 9:15 Stay tuned! Almost time for the Dayton 500.

smokingunny

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 26, 2013
I'm curious if it will have a strong smoke flavor since you said you're using mesquite chunks all day. I've found that I can only use mesquite for about the first hour or so. But I also harvest my own wood, maybe the store bought chunks are different.

WaterinHoleBrew

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
Lookin good, gonna be some good eatin ! I personally don't spray mine and it's always turned out tender ! Just my 2 cents ! Justin

smokefever

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 23, 2010
Thanks, I have a question. When should I start spraying this with apple juice?
I usually will let it go for the first couple of hours.  Let it get some quality time with the smoke and then I start misting it with apple juice/vinegar combo.  Either way you cant go wrong!  Keep us posted. . . .

crazyq

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 7, 2014
I'm curious if it will have a strong smoke flavor since you said you're using mesquite chunks all day. I've found that I can only use mesquite for about the first hour or so. But I also harvest my own wood, maybe the store bought chunks are different.
I use mequite the whole cook in my offset and long as you have it burning that thin blue smoke it wont be too strong. Mine never has been. We use alot of mesquite here because it the predominate wood here so it can be gotten anywhere at anytime.

boomersooner

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 17, 2014
I moved here from Devine Tx. Where I had an endless supply of mesquite. Now I have to buy it! Sacrelidge!

seenred

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 9, 2009
Family starting to look at me funny and yes I have been drinking beer since I put it on.
Hang in there, Brother!  We've all been there once or twice.  Butts have a tendency to get done on their own schedule and not yours. 

Red

nascott

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 5, 2014
Just think... With the Daytona 500 delayed by 6 hours, your roast knew exactly what it was doing! It took its time so you could eat while watching.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
If that looks as good as it tastes you are eating fine my friend.

Disco

seenred

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 9, 2009
Nice!  Looks delicious...I'm glad it turned out good.

Red

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.