My first Butt - And it didn't stink!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rdel90

Original poster
Jul 22, 2017
So I went with a 4lb butt for my third smoking session. Only feeding 3 of us for the week so didn't need anything bigger really. I did a little research and planned as follows: cider vinegar/juice brine, rub (pieced together a recipe) at set overnight, start at 225F and planned pull at 195F IT and no foil wrap. Wood: 50/50 Pecan/Hickory. At 4lbs I was planning on about 6-7 hours cook time....

So here we go (with picture):

Day 1 - I scored the fat cap in a square pattern soaked the butt in a 1:1 apple cider vinegar/apple juice mixture for about 12 hours.

Day 1 Overnight - After Brine rinse, pat dry, apply yellow mustard, and cover with rub. Save the brine to use in the water pan.

Dry Rub:

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup turbinado sugar

3 tablespoons paprika

1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 tbsp celery salt (or can use something like Lowry's)

2 teaspoon kosher salt

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder

2 teaspoons black pepper

1 teaspoons dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried thyme

Then cover with plastic wrap, and put in fridge overnight so the meat can absorb the flavor of the rub.

Day 2 - Smoking Day - used 50/50 Pecan/Hickory

6:30am - remove from fridge and allow to come to room temp

7:00am - pre-heat smoker to 225F

7:40am  - meat in fat cap side down on the 2nd shelf grate and foil pan on the 3rd shelf grate. I put some of the leftover juice brine in the water pan. I also put the fat cap down on the grate in case the meat sticks to the grate (which it did slightly), I'd only lose fat and not meat.

11:30am  - after 4 hours I inserted the MES Probe and I saw a nice bark starting to form. I gave it the first spray with fresh cider vinegar/juice mixture. MES probe read 145F so I figured I was getting close to the stall

12:40pm - Probe temp 148F. I heard these probes are't terribly accurate so I found an analog meat probe I had in the drawer and stuck it in. That read 158F so about in the stall. I then bumped temp to 250F. It was at this point I realized this was going to take a lot longer than the 7 hours I originally planned.

3:40pm  - MES Probe 168F and Analog 178F. Gave another spray and bumped temp to 275F

5:30pm - MES Probe 185F and Analof 195F. FINISHED!!!! TOTAL COOK TIME 10 hours.

This was way past my planned cook time and I had to go out for a while. So I double wrapped in foil and a towel and stuck it in an empty cooler. I got back around 9:30pm to finally pull it apart. It was still fairly warm at about 145F. 

Finished comments/questions: I didn't use any finishing sauce. Bark wasn't very thick for no foil wrap. How long should it be at or above finishing temp before you pull? I will try 205F next time. Also, while the flavor was excellent, it didn't look like I had much of a smoke ring. How much of a smoke ring should you shoot for? I could have preset hotter. Next time I will go right to 250F instead of 225F. Seeing that the MES probe was about 10F off (and so glad I checked with the analog thermometer), I went online and picked up a Maverick ET-733 dual probe for my next smoke.

Please, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
looks real nice, needs pics on a nice sized bun, with some sauce and some cole slaw ... that's how we do it in the south ... 
Looks-Great.gif
points.gif

The PP looks great to me!

I give you a point for your first butt!

205 is pretty much the temp most of us look for with a butt.

You won't get a smoke ring with an electric smoker, but that's OK, it doesn't add to the flavor, it just looks cool.

Al

Last edited:
Thanks for the point and the clarification Al! I would have been going crazy with question "Why doesn't mine look like that?" But so far all the flavor has been there!

Hey, nice job.. I'm getting more in the mood for pulled pork now. Need to get one on sale though. [emoji]129299[/emoji]

:points:
:PDT_Armataz_01_41:

Last edited:
Rings, I picked mine up at Aldi if you have one of those around. It was $1.69/lb on sale but even regular price they are like $1.99/lb there. I've read a few people going with Costco with good results.

Looks great for any butt much less your first...good job.
As far as smoke ring goes...
You won't get much, if any smoke ring with gas or electric...
The ring is actually caused by other chemical reactions with gasses released by burning wood not the actual smoke.
In gas and electric smokers the wood only reaches (usually) a smoldering temp that is not hot enough for those other gasses to be present.
Google "the science of a smoke ring". It's an excellent article and will break the actual science/chemistry down and explain it much better that I can remember.
BUT...all that being said the smoke ring is pure cosmetics...
It looks cool (I guess) but doesn't change the flavor of your food at all.
Looking forward to seeing pics from your next smoke.

Walt.

Reactions: rdel90
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky