My First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh I just looked you are pacific time….so 8:20 am. If it’s for dinner keep it at 225 and then when tender just rest at temp in the oven.
I figured I have plenty of time. And almost all of this is going into the freezer, forgive me. We’re empty nesters and I have knee surgery Monday so I’m stocking up. My wife doesn’t like cooking so this is self-preservation. Haha! But I’m terrible at cleaning the kitchen so it’s a match made in heaven. I cook, she cleans. This has worked for 37 years.

Looking good! That tallow will be a perfect finishing drizzle for the cut!! That is liquid gold!

Nice work and now I’m wanting brisket for lunch!
You’re in Idaho. Just hop in your Gulfstream and you’ll be here in an hour. I’m 5 minutes from KSTS. I better start thinking about making some cornbread and mac-n-cheese.

Oh, I did soak the paper in that rendered tallow instead of new Wagyu.

Last edited:
26D7F5BE-D99B-45F2-8BDB-7EDB3E8D0F24.png
I think I got lucky. The flat was tracking 10 degrees cooler than the point before the wrap. They’ve now equaled out. I also nudged the point a little closer to the stack so that might be why. I might need to turn it if it runs ahead. Whew!

Reactions: JLeonard
The point will always cook tender, the flat can be tricky. is it tough uniform top to bottom thru the flat? Best spot I have found to check it is center where the thickest part of the flat wraps under the point. Also, if you are gonna hold for at least 4 hours, you can under cook it slightly and it will be perfect when you slice....

The point will always cook tender, the flat can be tricky. is it tough uniform top to bottom thru the flat? Best spot I have found to check it is center where the thickest part of the flat wraps under the point. Also, if you are gonna hold for at least 4 hours, you can under cook it slightly and it will be perfect when you slice....
The paper makes it hard to know for certain. It felt tough all the way through. I’m at 202 for both now. I’ll definitely put it in the oven for 4-5 hours. I’m warming it up right now.

Reactions: indaswamp
I’ve hit the 200+ mark on both. The point is probing super tender. The flat feels like a brick. Maybe 205 will be magic?
This is the critical stage of meat generally but brisket specifically. Just be patient with the flat, you are close but not there yet, 205 might be magic but I have had a couple that had to go 210, it’s not common but it can happen. If you pull it off early you will have a dry flat.

The flat hit 204 and the point was approaching 206 so I pulled it. I did the pliability test, wrapped, and it felt soft and wavy. I opened up the end to let it vent some heat and stop cooking. The probe test on the flat passed the peanut butter test. In another 20 minutes I’ll put it in the oven at 170 for 4-5 hours.

It smells crazy delicious. Has anyone ever tried eating the tallow-soaked butcher paper? Asking for a friend.

18678DF9-E0E5-4971-AFE1-4D4F8657BDAE.jpeg

Last edited:
Alrighty Gents, non-gents, and those questioning! Here’s the story…9.5 hours and 250 -ish degrees on the kettle and it was probe tender at 205 degrees IT and 2:30 am. Foil boated it at 170 degrees. So I wrapped it in foil and into a 170 degree oven til noon. Then into a cooler and wrapped in towels.
C2A34CD4-F91D-4B78-9F72-2A72FAC9D702.jpeg
Bark suffered some from the wrapping.
Sliced beautifully. Passed the bend test. And came apart with a gentle tug.
A617CCEB-FEA1-4232-8AAC-324E285B7CDA.jpeg
Had a pretty little smoke ring and was extremely juicy!
3DD9A2CF-C513-42F4-BD8B-7760F7889DFF.jpeg
Will I do it again? Heck yeah! Family all raved over it and I thought it was pretty good.
Want to thank all you folks on here for the advice, tips, and encouragement you all give.
Jim

Thanks for all the great coaching. We’ll see in another 5 hours. It’s now making the house smell amazing. This is torture for a guy on a diet.
That's why I bring 'em to the firehouse and put them in the oven there!!! Torture those guys all damn day!!! LOL!!! While I go home and take a nap from the all night cook!!! LOL!!!

Here is my only tip for next time.... since you have already sliced it.
The grain on a brisket runs kinda weird so this is how the pros slice it:

Note the angle direction the meat fibers run on the flat before you season it. mark the corner that is perpendicular to teh grain with a toothpick. When it's done and ready to slice, start at the tooth pick on the flat and slice at about a 30* angle. slice until you start getting slices with about 25-30% point end. Then rotate the brisket so that the cut end is parallel with the cutting board end that is near the edge of the counter you are slicing on. Then start slicing the point end.

JLeonard JLeonard are you drunk? Lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky