1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My first Brisket

Discussion in 'Beef' started by yankee2bbq, Oct 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Master of the Pit

This is something I wanted to do for a long time. First, I want to thank Chris and 357mag for there advice.

Okay, let’s get to it. This is the first time I’ve ever had brisket, so I have nothing to compare it to. With that being said, it reminded me of beef short ribs. The brisket took 16 hours. Used pecan for smoke flavor. My smoker is a WSM 22. The flat seemed dry to me. But, then again, it was flavorful, easy to slice, and fell apart very easily. The point was very juicy! Overall, I was pleased with my results. I have plenty of leftovers!
    33805FB1-C1CA-447E-9738-FF958B8CEBD2.jpeg
    8C9DA379-E254-4E1C-A8BA-CDE9F2838D8A.jpeg

7DC0C6C4-C380-464F-BCDA-3C5DCA6E9FE3.jpeg
    4090A5DD-F13E-4FCE-A55F-F424B6A74ED7.jpeg
    42B842B1-6687-43F5-BA10-EDA209AE8B50.jpeg
    3EEE2AFF-D5FE-4751-82B7-4384C8CE4CE7.jpeg

SmokinAl, hillbillyrkstr and gmc2003 like this.
  2. Scott Eisenbraun

Scott Eisenbraun Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Nice smoke ring. Sure doesn't look dry. I usually add beef broth to a slow cooker to reheat leftovers. Will rehydrate a bit.

yankee2bbq likes this.
  3. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

That looks fantastic Justin. Job well done. I agree wheres the dry section?

Point for sure.
    Chris

yankee2bbq likes this.
  4. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks like a great success for a first brisket!!! I’d be proud of that! You should have seen my first brisket.... I don’t even want to talk about that.

Scott

yankee2bbq likes this.
  5. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Also I’ve started using pink butcher paper on my briskets this year with great success. Look into it. It’ll help keep moisture and not destroy your bark like foil will. Just a tip, take it or leave it.

Scott

yankee2bbq likes this.
  6. yankee2bbq

Thanks Scott. I’m thinking about brisket chili for tomorrow.

Thanks Chris. Guess I was comparing the flat to the point. Anyway, thanks for your advice. You truly are gifted in what you do around the smoker. I owe you some brisket!

Thanks Scott. I appreciate it.

7. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice job on your first brisket, it looks great.
    If it was a Select grade, you may want to look for Choice, and if available Prime would be the way to go.
    As you get up in grades you get more marbeling & more juice.
    That being said a little experience & you will be able to take a Select & have it come out tender & juicy.
    Al

8. yankee2bbq

Thanks Al! It was choice grade. I will do brisket again!