My first brisket

Discussion in 'Beef' started by tjshelton, Oct 3, 2015.

1. 8 pound brisket out of the freezer and thawing out.  I'm following the recipe in John McLemore's "Dadgum That's Good" book and using my new MES 30 (bought from QVC - too good a deal to pass up).  The brisket was bought from CostCo and looks to be already trimmed.  More Q-View to come as I go through the process...

2. Question ?    Have you cooked anything on your new MES or is this going to be the first ?

Gary

3. Hi Gary,

I've smoked ribs and a few other things in this MES. I also have an older MES and have smoked many times with it. That said, this will be my first brisket and I'm really looking forward to it.

Tom

4. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Good luck with the brisky!

5. bauchjw

bauchjw Master of the Pit

Is the weather out there going to let you? We need that rain on the west coast! Good luck with the brisket! I have become addicted to it in the past few months and use it as the primary protein for the families breakfast, lunch and diner!

6. Thanks - The recipe I'm using is very complicated, but I followed it religeously.  11 ingredients for the marinade and 10 for the rub...

7. It's overcast and cool, a little drizzly, but not enough to worry about.  Wish I could send some of this rain to you, but those darn Rockies get in the way.

8. Out of the fridge after marinating over-night.  The rub is on and the MES is pre-heating.  I added more rub after this pic was taken.

9. That things looks Purdy already !!

Gary

tjshelton likes this.
  10. bgosnell151

bgosnell151 Smoking Fanatic

Looking forward to see how this ends up.

tjshelton likes this.
  11. After about 10 hours....  Here it is...

absolutely the best beef I've ever tasted (IMHO) and cut-with-a-fork tender.  Nice smokey taste...  

12. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks like your hooked! Great jod!Thumbs Up

13. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks good! Wish I could throw one on now, and get it quick. (Like the BBQ Pit Boys say, "Through the miracle of time...")

I couldn't tell from the pic, what color smoker did you end up getting? First time I'd ever seen multiple colors, on that QVC show.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  14. I got the Cinnamon MES.  Second choice was the blue...

15. I've been hooked for a few years now - but never had the time to do a brisket.  Also, was always a little apprehensive about ruining an expensive piece of meat...