My first brined bird thanks chief Jimmy j for the brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papa t

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 12, 2016
Harrietta Michigan
Tried my first bird in brine yesterday . Thanks chief Jimmy j for you recipe for brine i used that and added fresh garlic poultry seasoning and honey. The first picture is of it coming out of its 25 hour bath and all wiped dry lol. This one it has had its blow dry by the hair dryer worked awesome by the way and all seasoned up. This is the finished product and may i say it was the best bird i and my wife have ever eaten. I used a computation blend pellet for the mes cooked it at 325 for 1 1/2 hours in side temp 165. And the bird was very crispy Not sure yet why my pictures are not showing up had this problem before?????.
Well i hope you enjoyed my bird as much as we did. I will never cook another one without my brine again. Thanks to chef for the great start.

Looks great and glad to hear you liked the brine...JJ

Hey guys I am a newbie smoker and have some Wild turkey Breast that I want to try and smoke in my electric smoker. Do you think I should brine it? Any tips would be awesome. That bird looks amazing!!

Thanks

Nick

Game birds benefit the most from a Brine. The Salt in the brine tenderizes the meat and causes the protein to retain more moisture after cooking....JJ

Families Favorite Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Paprika

2T Gran. Garlic

2T Gran. Onion

2T Dry Thyme

2T Black Pepper

1C Vinegar (Any)

1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix

1/2C Brown Sugar, Optional

1T Red Pepper Flake Optional

Mix well and Soak the Bird over night or up to 24 Hours.

Remove the Chix, rinse if desired and pat dry with paper towels.

Place in an open container in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours for the Skin to dry.

This will give a crispier skin when Smokng or Roasting...

Reactions: gotch
Awesome, Thanks for the brine recipe Jimmy J. This may be a dumb question but since I'm doing the brine should I inject the breast with anything?

What Temp, Wood, and amount of Time would be recommended. There is an internal Probe but I'm just looking for an idea on where to start at.

-Nick

Awesome, Thanks for the brine recipe Jimmy J. This may be a dumb question but since I'm doing the brine should I inject the breast with anything?

What Temp, Wood, and amount of Time would be recommended. There is an internal Probe but I'm just looking for an idea on where to start at.

-Nick
Juicy Smoke-tastic Chicken and Turkey

I like Apple and/or Hickory with Chicken or Turkey. We determine doneness by measuring the Internal Temp (IT) in the thickest part of the Breast and Thigh, 165* and 175*F respectively. For a One Step Smoke with Crispy Skin the birds have to be smoked at a temp of 300-325°F. You can figure about 15 minutes per pound to reach the desired IT. Electric smokers usually only go to 275°F. With these you will be smoking at the most common temp range of 225-275°F. You can figure on about 25 minutes per pound cook time + or - 5 minutes depending what part of the range you choose. Usually the skin will not crisp so if the skin is not Crisp enough when the IT is 145*F in the Breast, put the Bird in a 425*F Oven to finish cooking to 165* and Crisp the Skin...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky