My first bottle of Yoshida's for Ron's throwdown not what I expected

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Well I received my first bottle of Yoshida's in the mail today from a fellow SMF member so that I can cook for Ron's memory throw down this month. I have to say that the Yoshida's isn't what I was expecting. I thought it was a BBQ sauce but to my surprise its more runny and used as a marinade/cooking finishing sauce. I can't wait to give it a try. Does it glaze up nice and give it a nice finishing taste when added to meat at the end of the cook? Also I am thinking about injecting it into some meat and wondering if it is a really strong flavor where I wouldn't want to leave it injected over night? The recipes say to marinade it for 30 minutes.  Thanks for the info guys. I am hopefully going to be making my throw down today.

icon_cool.gif

I can get yoshida's here in florida but I couldn't get on that train. It's like a soy sauce to me. But alittle bit saltier and I couldn't take all that salt taste. But good luck in the throwdown Rb.

Last edited:
My favorite way to use the Yoshidas is kinda like you would rub something down with honey or molasses before you add the rub. I use it as a sticky agent to apply the seasonings with.

I just opened my bottle and put it on some pork to marinate it for a while and I took a little taste. I really like it. Man that would make some AWESOME chicken fried rice!!!! I am really going to like this stuff I think.

I love the cracked pepper and garlic flavored one...

I have used it as a base for the rub to stick to and also as a glaze after cooking... 

It would be better if it were a little thicker though... 

I have hit stores all over here and  can't find yoshidas anywhere. But i'm on a low salt diet so if it's as salty as soy sauce i won't be able to eat it anyway.

If ya want to thicken it , either reduce over heat or make a slurry of corn starch and water and stir this into the sauce  while heating

I have used it on Pork shoulder and coated with the yoshidas then applied my rub. Then used pineapple orange juice for the mop. Came out great.

I like to marinade overnight in it, then smoke/bake/grill and baste occasionaly while cooking. If you really want a treat marinade some boneless skinless chicken thighs over night, then toss onto a hot charcoal grill get a nice char on it and baste with more Yoshida's every 5 minutes. Serve over rice with some grilled veggies.... it is awesome!

I was reading a review on the local Sam Club page and they guy said he uses Yoshida's, water and a bit of corn syrup and makes the best chicken fried rice ever. I can see how that would taste awesome. I even ate it on a borrito yesterday. I am going to be ordering some of the other flavors to try very soon.

we use yoshidas but what we do is the following.

after a night of down right lip smacking finger licking smoke dinner yum athon. the next day

consists of using the shredded pork, deboning any chicken that is left or thinly slicing up some beef

we open a few packs of raman noodles (cook them to near done)

, add stirfry vegies or what ever we have for vegies in house, yoshidas (amount to your liking) then the meat

toss em together and serve in bowls. kids love it, its fast way to get rid of left overs to.

note, i break my ramen in half sometimes 4ths so its easier to toss and stir.

but that is just an idea.

I have seen tons of it here at Sam's in TN, I will pick some up for sure! Sounds like an all around great item to have laying around anyway...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky