• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My first bacon...

JanB

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 8, 2020
Hi this is my first smoking attend and I'm trying to smoke bacon...
Last Saturday I start curing process and was doing that for 5 days...
After that I was drying for 2 days at fridge and start smoking today.
It smoking already for 15 hrs on apple pellets.
Smoker temperature is from 47f to 73f
Planning to smoke tomorrow for few more hours to get nicer color.
But bacon is still feel kind of moist (wet) is that ok? Or by tomorrow smoking more is gonna dry more?
Thank you

Attachments

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Well you didnt say how you cured it. I do 14 days with a dry cure. Your cold smoking, thats good. The meat will still be moist. When your done smoking, rest in the fridge for a week. It will let the meat dry more. Your doing good.

fished

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 3, 2012
Looks good to me also. I just sliced my last one yesterday and will smoke another one today. I cure mine for 12 days.

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
I cure my maple-honey bacon in Ziploc bags for6 days in the fridge. Your bacon looks to be doing fine to me. RAY

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
How did you cure it? I usually go at least 10 days for the cure. You could cut off a small piece and do a fry test to check the progress.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I usually go 2 weeks with a dry cure. Then a 3-4 day rest in the fridge uncovered. Than 10 hours of cold smoke, then another 3-4 days uncovered in the fridge. Then into the freezer for a couple of hours & slice with a meat slicer. But there are sure plenty of ways to make bacon, & my way is just one of them.
Al

JanB

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 8, 2020
I cure with:
5% insta cure salt
2% sugar
0.5% black pepper
0.3% garlic powder
0.1% paprika
0.1% crushed red pepper

It was 12lb of pork belly and I was turning over in fridge for 5 days...
You guys think is not cured and can get bad?
Thank you
Today is my second day smoking that bacon

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I have found 14 days dry curing, cold smoke twice for ~6 hour, then refer rest for another ~7 days on a wire rack give an awesome depth of flavor...

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
What temp was the meat ???
When I smoke my bacon, I smoke it below 70F for a day or two.... The meat is not cooked....
Then I put in the freezer for ~2 hours and slice when it gets firmed up...
Then I bake it on a wire rack in the oven to cook....

Slabs resting in the refer for 7 days AFTER the smoke... concentrates the flavor...
1581341861121.jpeg

Bacon with a maple syrup glaze.. Makes for great snack sticks...

001.JPG

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I leave mine for about 7 days... I like it dried out a bit more than the grocery store stuff... More akin to 1950's slab bacon we used to eat...

UrbanCowgill

SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 18, 2020
Just saying, it looks good but my preference would be to fry it up a bit. Love a good cold Yuengling too!

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
I dry cure my bacon for at least 12 days but trying to make 14 days.....but your bacon looks pretty darn good to me! Well done.

JanB

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 8, 2020
Quick question...
What is highest safe temp for cold smoking bacon? Outside and in smoker and internal in meat?
Anyone please???

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Quick question...
What is highest safe temp for cold smoking bacon? Outside and in smoker and internal in meat?
Anyone please???
As long as its cured it dont need to be a certain temp to cold smoke out side or inside the smoker.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.