My First Attempt to make Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That bacon looks great, Nice Job!!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Hi All, So Today I Did a Bourbon Brown sugar recipe and also bought another package of pork belly. Any Recipe suggestions !

Thank you

No, no suggestions. Just keep your bacon curing.
If you need ideas, check out Disco's recipes.
I seem to be starting up more as I finish some.
I had a chunk of Pork Loin in the freezer, and have a slab stashed away in the chest freezer.
Plus a good store of previous trials, Buckboard Bacon I like to use in Beans.
Right now I have a second Canadian Bacon (Disco's Back Bacon) curing in the fridge.
I'm thinkin maybe some Peppered Bacon this round.
We burned through a 1/2 a pound of Belly this morning. Delicious!

Congrats from East Texas. Beautiful Color, nice job and a thumbs up for making the Carousel

Gary

No, no suggestions. Just keep your bacon curing.
If you need ideas, check out Disco's recipes.
I seem to be starting up more as I finish some.
I had a chunk of Pork Loin in the freezer, and have a slab stashed away in the chest freezer.
Plus a good store of previous trials, Buckboard Bacon I like to use in Beans.
Right now I have a second Canadian Bacon (Disco's Back Bacon) curing in the fridge.
I'm thinkin maybe some Peppered Bacon this round.
We burned through a 1/2 a pound of Belly this morning. Delicious!
You are too kind to a fat old Canadian! It is the cook not the recipe!

Hi All, So i decided to make some bacon! Used the Dry Cure Bacon Calculator, what a nice tool !
and I added my own touch to it Rosemary and some Black Pepper !

That's the fun part!
Take any recipe (or make your own) and vary it.
I usually follow the original the first time. Then change it up on a whim.

I add Cayenne pepper to heat things up.
My first batch of spiked Jerky took too much beer to wash it down. :emoji_fire:
I use 1/2 or 1/4 that now. :emoji_wink:

Making Pepper Canadian Bacon will be a bit out on a limb for me.

Hi All, So i decided to make some bacon! Used the Dry Cure Bacon Calculator, what a nice tool !
and I added my own touch to it Rosemary and some Black Pepper !
Hi pa42phigh,
I added about 3 TBSP dried Rosemary and 1 TBSP ground pepper to all the other ingredients and placed them in my Bullet Mixer to mix them up really well for a 10 lb piece of pork belly

Reactions: pa42phigh and disco
Well Marianne Congrats are in order. Now you have hook line and sinker into the smoking world lol. Welcome to your new addiction. Congrats on the carousel ride.

Well Marianne Congrats are in order. Now you have hook line and sinker into the smoking world lol. Welcome to your new addiction. Congrats on the carousel ride.
Thanks and It's so nice to be able to ask questions and sometimes some real odd ones too , but there is someone that will try to answer if they can and if not another person Will :emoji_blush:

Marianne, that bacon looks very tasty!
beautiful colour. Could you post some pics of some slices?

I'm restricted off red meats, so I do a lot of Salmon and Pork.

Seriously??? I don't eat much, but I can't imagine being told I CANNOT eat any more!

Hi, So today I made Bourbon Brown Sugar Bacon...

I've never tasted Bourbon Brown Sugar, but I have drank Wild Turkey Dark, and someone told me it was bourbon.... I prefer it to any Rye whisky.

That's the fun part!.....
My first batch of spiked Jerky took too much beer to wash it down. :emoji_fire:...

Too much beer??? I don't even know what that means!!!

That's the fun part!
Making Pepper Canadian Bacon will be a bit out on a limb for me.

I made some using POPS brine, and it turned out PERFECT.
So easy, even this fat old bald guy can do it! Uh... I mean ME! Not some of you other fat old bald guys!

Well, I had a heart attack in 2010. Damn near died, I guess.
They talked like I needed to become a vegan. :emoji_smirk: Yeah, right!
So I'm... compromising. I avoid red meat.
Not a huge chicken fan. It's OK, but hey, not 7 days a week like the wife likes it.
But I do like pork. So Bacon, Pork Loin for Jerky, Pork Loin roasted in the Air Fryer... heck yeah!
And Salmon is my new "Rib Eye Steak".
My goal is to live till I die.
So far, so good. :emoji_laughing: I'm goin out happy.

I have a Loin curing for Disco's Back Bacon (Canadian Bacon). I watched his video and well, same as Canadian, is the Pepper Bacon. So today I ground up some peppercorns for Pepper Canadian Bacon with the loin I'm curing.
Bag opening on the 15th, plan to attend. LOL! :emoji_wink:
The ceremonies will include a wash and soak cycle, a pat dry, and a peppering. (I have to check about before or after Pelical forming) I think it was after, but that doesn't make sense to me. I'd think before so the pepper sticks bettermore.
But either way, that's the current course.
I just tonight pulled a pile of Pork Loin chunks to play with. Jerky to make, a pork loin roast, and start another Canadian Bacon curing. If there is room in the freezer, it's time to make bacon.
(Sorry Disco, I'm in the USA. Besides, you use funny measuring spoons.) :emoji_laughing:

So there you go Nanuk, now you know more than you wanted too.
If you make your Jerky with a teaspoon full of cayenne pepper, you'll understand the jerky requiring too much beer. I like 1/2 tsp. Works well with my choice of swill. LOL!

Reactions: nanuk
Hey Sonny, I can't do "Heat" much anymore... had an "issue" one time... almost ended up in the hospital ....

but I do look for any excuse to drink beer!
and I certainly could NOT do Vegan.

But, as long as you have some compromises and good substitutions, you can enjoy life to the fullest, and for a LONG time yet!
and I could eat chicken and turkey almost every day!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky