My first attempt at smoked cheese...not so good.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbilly69

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Mexico
Hello everyone. I hope you are all staying safe during these crazy times. Back in late January I attempted my first cold smoke. For four hours I smoked cheddar and gouda cheese using apple wood chips in the Masterbuilt cold smoker attachment. After resting a bit the cheese was It was vacuum sealed, refrigerated and left to absorb the smoke until just recently. When sampling the cheese had a very strong chemical taste. At first I thought it could be the result of the cold smoker attachment being new but I can tell you it was well seasoned before the first smoke. If anyone might have opinions or insight I would be very appreciative. I'm not sure what I could have done differently.

It's very common for first time cheese smokers to over-smoke their cheese.
Was your smoke visible, more specifically how visible?
When you sampled your cheese during smoking (or at the end of your smoke time, what was the flavor?
Did your cheese change color, or have an oily texture?

Cut the smoke time in half. Let the cheese rest in a open bag for 24 hours. Then try a piece. Don't be alarmed if the cheese has a somewhat strong taste at first. After it has set vacuum sealed for a few weeks it will mellow.

thirdeye, yes the smoke was visible. In fact, it was quite heavy. The cheese did get a bit darker in color and there was some oil that had formed on the exterior. I did not sample the cheese after the smoke because I was under the impression that it should rest for at least two weeks before eating it, and the longer it rested the better it would be.

Thank you for the advice, Steve H. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Well, those were your problems, too much smoke and enough heat to make the oils rise to the surface and darken your cheese. It's best to have full airflow and super light smoke over a long period of time. Think of a cigar sitting in an ashtray.

Here are two smoke demonstration smoke generator videos I made a few years ago, my cheese smoker is a mini WSM, 13" grate, with a sawdust smoke generator. With the dome on and all vents wide open I really have to stare at the top vent to see smoke.
VIDEO 1
VIDEO 2

A 24-hour off-gassing is also highly recommended after smoking cheese. This allows the strongest of taste and flavors to off gas from the cheese before sealing them in.

Thanks fivetricks. I was not aware of this. Although I did allow the cheese to rest a bit after the smoke I'm pretty sure certain it was vacuum sealed within 8-10 hours.

8 to 10 isn't too bad. 24 hours is better. if you did let it gas off a bit then I would say your problem is more likely temperature as was mentioned above.

Cold smoking is a game all in its own

Next time I'll definitely wait 24 hours before sealing, as well as watching the amount of smoke and keeping the temperature in check. I'm learning that I have a lot to learn. Thanks everyone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky