Pit Boss Sportsman 1100 on the way.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DieselTech

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 28, 2024
Kansas
Just curious if any of you guys & gals use a the pit boss sportsman line of pellet grill/smoker?

I just recently ordered 1 & I'm waiting for it to be delivered. Hopefully by the end of next week.

I'm just curious if any of you like, love, hate it & if the smoke like a boss mods are worth it.

I also bought every accessory they offered for it thru Pit Boss. The side smoker cabinet, insulted grill cover, griddle plate, & a bunch of other stuff.

I know it ain't the best machine out there, but I'm hoping with care, it will last longer than the 5year pit boss Warranty.

Thanks. I can't wait to start learning from the masters out there.

Congrats, been running a Austin LX for about 6 years I think, I would run it for a few months before you start modding it, mine works well and temps run tite, I run a smoke tube with pellets and shag bark off of a hickory tree. Smoke is lite but folks who don't like heavy smoke like my wife enjoy it

Reactions: DieselTech
Congrats, been running a Austin LX for about 6 years I think, I would run it for a few months before you start modding it, mine works well and temps run tite, I run a smoke tube with pellets and shag bark off of a hickory tree. Smoke is lite but folks who don't like heavy smoke like my wife enjoy it
Thanks mike243 mike243 do you use the hickory bark in a smoker tube? Or other ways?

Yeah I bought a couple 6" smoke tubes & a couple 12" smoke tubes, cause I'm hoping this winter I can try smoking some cheese. Plus I don't mind a heavier smoke taste in most things.

Reactions: JLeonard
If you are new pellet grill-smoker I suggest you buy only one of each type, or brands of pellets. That way you can find what you like best before stocking up.

Remember too keeping the fire pot, and auger tube will keep it running well.

If you are new pellet grill-smoker I suggest you buy only one of each type, or brands of pellets. That way you can find what you like best before stocking up.

Remember too keeping the fire pot, and auger tube will keep it running well.
Yes I'm new to this. Yeah I'm sticking with pit boss pellets to start out with. I purchased 5 flavors so to speak to start out with.

Yeah I think the reason some people cuss there pellet grill/smoker is they don't clean the pellets out after each use.

I bought some 5 gallon buckets with the Gamma2 lids with the thread on lids to store my pellets.

Thanks.

Yes I'm new to this. Yeah I'm sticking with pit boss pellets to start out with. I purchased 5 flavors so to speak to start out with.

Yeah I think the reason some people cuss there pellet grill/smoker is they don't clean the pellets out after each use.

I bought some 5 gallon buckets with the Gamma2 lids with the thread on lids to store my pellets.

Thanks.
Don’t use pit boss pellets! lol pit boss makes a great smoker. I ran one for years and recently gave it away to a friend. Probably 7 years with zero issues. Try to find some pellets that are better quality. I’m not sure where you are but if you share we can help you with quality pellets

Don’t use pit boss pellets! lol pit boss makes a great smoker. I ran one for years and recently gave it away to a friend. Probably 7 years with zero issues. Try to find some pellets that are better quality. I’m not sure where you are but if you share we can help you with quality pellets
I'm in Kansas. Yeah only real reason I got some pit boss pellets cause I new they would ship free from pit boss with my grill.

Yeah I'm not sure what is in my area. I know Bear Mountain is around & Smokers Delight I think.

In the 7 years you owned the pit boss, did you do any mods to it to make it better/more efficient?

Thanks.

I'm in Kansas. Yeah only real reason I got some pit boss pellets cause I new they would ship free from pit boss with my grill.

Yeah I'm not sure what is in my area. I know Bear Mountain is around & Smokers Delight I think.

In the 7 years you owned the pit boss, did you do any mods to it to make it better/more efficient?

Thanks.
They aren’t terrible but you can do better. I’ve used them plenty with good results

Congrats on the new smoker. Understand on the PB pellets. Lot of Lumberjack pellet users on here if any around your area, I think they are top notch . Bear Mountain are pretty good also, I had issues with BM feeding in my RT for some reason.

There are about 25 dealers of LumberJack pellets in Kansas. If one is close you might want to give them a try.
I have never bought Lumberjack Pellets from a dealer.
Always got together with family, friends, neighbors and would have a ton delivered.
Saved a few bucks that way.
Saved a few bucks that way even with shipping cost being $500-$600.

Congrats on the new pellet grill purchase, can't wait to see it. Orschelands and Tractor Supply stock LumberJack pellets around here and are often on sale Fri, Sat, Sun through the summer for $6.99 per 20 lb bag. They are the best I've found for my SmokeFire. I'm pretty sure you are going to enjoy the neck out of your new Pit Boss and we are here to help....................hem, spend your money. 😁

Dang got some parts & pieces in. A bit of a let down. These things should be made of 1/8" stainless steel plate minimum. Oh well I got good templates/patterns now.
1000000101.jpg

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
Hey Diesel, this five day e-course may be right up your alley. TulsaJeff TulsaJeff did a great job of putting it together. I know I learned a ton.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky