My fire post pic hvy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
So I've seen several posts about fire mgmt. I'm gonna give my thoughts and my recent smoke. In no way do I claim it's the only or best or anyone doing it differently is wrong. I'm just posting what works for me.
Starting my fire.
20191215_104308.jpg
My little pile of splinters and small pieces of tinder. Oak stored dry under cover outside.
While most of the time a propane torch is used to start my fires I used just a butane grill lighter.
20191215_104348.jpg
Now that it's going I add some of these small kindling.
20191215_104550.jpg

More and little larger kindling ready to go.
20191215_104641.jpg

Lager kindling added and starting to catch
20191215_104816.jpg

Starting to burn down and make coals
20191215_105324.jpg

Adding my large pieces. Wrist or smaller size.
20191215_105545.jpg

Burning down to larger bed of coals
20191215_111805.jpg

Just added my large pieces wrist / forearm size. Yes I leave the bark on. Notice the sunlight shining thru my vent opening. I usually leave it open 2 inches plus or minus 1. 20191215_111905.jpg

Burning good now.
20191215_115737.jpg

Now I push them to the back corner and I have a bed of cooking coals ready for some meat. What you see here is about 230 to 245F in my smoker.
20191215_122137.jpg
I'll add a split or two every 45 minutes or so. Yes when I add the split it may run up 250 or 260 and even 270 but will quickly start back down.
Things I want to point out is this wood is fully seasoned and dry. I wonder if some problems are related to "green" or damp wood.
I also want to point out when I grab a stick I notice does it seem heavey meaning a knot or twisted and dense, which means it will ignite a little slower so I add sooner to a hotter bed of coals and burns a little longer. Really light meaning it will ignite faster and burn hotter. Just hope this can help anyone struggling and remember mileage can vary between smoker types, weather, elevation, and elevation. This whole process took a little over hour and a half. Prep meat drink coffee or just enjoy watching a fire burn during this time. Good luck . Here is a pic of the brisket that fire produced. 20191217_111518.jpg

Last edited:
Brisket looks good!

I usually crib my wood and light it with a weed burner.
What you done works fine.

Great post! Sooner or later I’ll add a stick burner to my arsenal. I’ll need advice like this then for sure.

Nice post, but like Doug, I use a weed burner to light mine up. It's just a lot quicker.
BTW the brisket looks delicious!!
Al

Doug and Al. I usually use a map gas with torch head. It's easier by far. I just wanted to demonstrate that a simple lighter or even match will do the trick if the wood is dry and seasoned. Sorta thinking some having trouble on here may be overthinking it. We all sometimes take some things for granted that others struggle with. Like Bear, JJ and Chile, Smokin Vol, Civil turn out some meals that they make look easy but I cant come close to it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky