Fire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I bought this stick burner so I don't have to use charcoal. Pretty sure that's whole reason it's called a "stick burner", otherwise it would be a coal burner or stick and coal burner smoker would it not?

I did find this guide today which fits what I was looking for.

Hard to go wrong with advise from Aaron Franklin. He uses a " log cabin" method of stacking his splits, but that will build a good sized fire and while it fits his backyard smoker ( which I have one ), it'll be too big for yours.

Its actually larger than what I like. I start like he says

" Start by placing two dense logs on either side of your firebox as a foundation "

And between those two I dump a small chimney of lump charcoal. Then I put a couple of splits across. I dont' do the top layer like Aaron does.

I use unlit lump and a weed burner, but if ya don't have the weed burner, just use lit lump.

The lump charcoal will get ya good head start on a coal bed, like Newglide Newglide has said above, that's your primary source of heat and what ya want to keep going. During a long cook, I'll add a large chunk of lump charcoal, like softball size that are generally found at the top of bags of lump, every hour or so just to help the coal bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky