My Father's Scrapple

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Sometime in late fall my dad always made a triple batch of Scrapple. It never lasted the winter though. Seems to me we always ran out in late January.

Scrapple

Recipe By: Dutch Schlotzhauer

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs pork shoulder steak
1 medium onion, finely chopped
salt & pepper
6 cups water, approx.
2 cups corn meal, yellow
1 tsp powdered sage, or more to taste

Butter to fry servings in

Directions:

1. You will need about 1 1/2 lbs. of cooked, deboned and chopped pork meat. Purchase pork blades with pork ribs, or pork steak with additional pork neck bones for added flavor.

2. Cover with water and add a medium cooking onion. Skim as it comes to boil, then add salt and pepper. Cook 60 to 90 minutes, meat should be very tender.

3. Cool in liquid; then remove the meat, de-bone and chop.

4. Poor 2-3 cups of the cooled liquid into a bowl, add 2 cups yellow cornmeal & mix to a paste using a fork.

5. In a non-stick large saucepan, add the remaining cooled liquid and enough water so the total amount is 5 cups. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Heat and add cornmeal paste while stirring. Continue heating to a boil then cook 20-30 minutes. Add powdered sage to taste. Check for seasonings after a few minutes.

6. Add and blend in the chopped meat. When mixture is uniform, pour into a loaf pan. Smooth top with a spatula. Cool and refrigerate. Cut into thirds, wrap in plastic wrap. Vacuum & freeze what not going to used right away.

7. To serve, place four slices approximately 1/4” each in skillet and fry with 1 tbs of butter.

Matt

Last edited:
Dad liked his onions, and it's what we grew up with. Today, I cut the onion amount in half.

Seems online recipes are Without Onion. BUT... Like any great Soup or Stew, Onion is an aromatic vegetable along with Celery and Carrot. The giant batches at Nell's had a bunch of giant Onions, some Celery and a few Carrots, in each kettle. When grinding the meat, they fed a couple of pounds of pork then pushed in an Onion or two and a bit of the other veggies. The Herbs were Parsley, Sage, Marjoram and Thyme. There was Bay leaf, Black Pepper and Allspice as well. Guess this is why I liked it so much. Substitute a Chuck Roast, no Cornmeal, and you pretty much got my Pot Roast Recipe!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky