My bucket list build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bcat 203

Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
I've had this build on my to do list for 25 years at least. When I hit 60 I decided that if it was going to happen, I had better get going on it. I've been stockpiling pieces of the puzzle, both materials and ideas , but farming, family, and other obligations took priority. Jan 2020 was my start up month. I took my skid loader around to the back of the barn and picked up the 12 ft piece of 30 inch spiral welded casing I had saved for years and set it on roller stands in the shop, then the fun began. The spiral weld created a unique problem that caused me to swing back and forth on cutting the doors. After sketching out several options, I came to the conclusion that this was going to be something different, so instead of fighting the spiral weld. I would go with it. I will try to post several pics to show the progress to date. One positive result of the corona virus fiasco is that I've had more time to work on it.

1f2548e23b9d05e2c728179c35f16b37.jpg 517ba9b8b8b5de5107243ae2c5077b5a.jpg 688b3c50515cef18a60c617b5a042cb5.jpg ad953b9071cf246a05dc5a4bccbf7d5b.jpg

Reactions: ozzz
0410201615b_HDR.jpg test run before final grinding, polishing, and grate installation. Whoo! Whoo! Smoke makes the round trip and all three chamber temps are within 5 degrees. With the lesser closest to the fire box. Wasn't expecting that!

Reactions: ozzz and mneeley490
Very cool! Those doors are a unique and innovative solution to the spiral weld.
Thank you!! It tried my patience somewhat as the door flashing pieces actually had to be twisted as they were bent to conform with the cook chamber curve.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky