My Big Fat Chicken Quarters Q View with Seasoned Onions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wntrlnd

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
out on the western plain
On the way home from a nice huevos rancheros breakfast this morning at Pete's, my favorite local cafe, I decided atmospheric conditions were just perfect for a smoke. 

I decided to do chicken quarters so I can use the skin and bones to make some smoked chicken stock tonight, and then some chicken soup tomorrow. I'll probably freeze most of the chicken meat for later use, same with the onions.  I love having the smoked onions on hand.  Like bacon, they make everything better!  This time I'm doing two onions straight up, and two packed with some cajun spices.  MmmmMmmmm!   I guarantee it!

Here are the big fat chicken quarters.  No brine,  No nuthin' 

a2b03091_IMG_2592.jpg

The onions are sweet, from Maui.  Aloha!

6fab0829_IMG_2596.jpg

And now they are all in there smokin'!

808490d5_IMG_2597.jpg

Here are the seasoned onions!

4e12b1e9_IMG_2609.jpg

a01807a0_IMG_2612.jpg

These two pieces of chicken (from the far end of the smoker) came off first. 

efaa9086_IMG_2602.jpg

Then, next thing you know, ol' Jed's a millionaire!

cf6549af_IMG_2615.jpg

Unnecessary close up shot.  Watch the glare!

7e60d812_IMG_2614.jpg

Ha ha!

Man, it was great to get one last smoke in before the clock ran out on 2010.  It was a good smoke today and a great way to finish out the year.

Hope you enjoyed the Q View!

Thanks for looking in!

Last edited:
What a great idea!  I'll definitely be doing garlic next time. 

Thanks, BarbeQueen!
I always stick whole garlic heads in, looks like I need to make room for some onions, too!
Those onions are pure gold, Down Love! 
I chop them up and freeze them.  Whenever I pull them out to use in a recipe I'm astounded by the amount of smoke they retain and impart to whatver food they're added to.  They're fantastic in soups, sauces, gravies, etc. 
lookin awesome!!  I am interested to see how the onions turn out.  they look great!

Those two pan shots are freakin' works of art, they are!  you are the Warhol of chicken photography!  makes my still life with garlic look so "art school dropout"

5371a260_122410_1186.jpg

I don't do a thing to them except maybe rip some of the very top papery bit off. I don't cook them til they're mushy, just golden brown-you can smush them or slice them. yum.

Great looking legs you got there Buddy!

Might want to see a Doc though---I count 6 legs !

Nuclear plant in your area???

Bear

LOL, BarbeQueen!  Thanks for the comments and picture!  I'm definitely throwing in some heads next time I smoke.  In fact, I'm already thinking up a reason to smoke so I can try them!
 Quote:
Those two pan shots are freakin' works of art, they are!  you are the Warhol of chicken photography!  makes my still life with garlic look so "art school dropout"

5371a260_122410_1186.jpg

I don't do a thing to them except maybe rip some of the very top papery bit off. I don't cook them til they're mushy, just golden brown-you can smush them or slice them. yum.

Great looking legs you got there Buddy!

Might want to see a Doc though---I count 6 legs !

Nuclear plant in your area???

Bear
 LOL! Bear!  Thanks for the comment!   There were six legs, but there aren't six any more.  Probably a  bad internet connection or something. 

icon_cool.gif

Now's thats the way to see the year out. FOOD

Thanks, smokinstevo27! 

You're right about getting some mileage out of that smoke.  I already made some killer chicken soup, and have a freezer full of packages of onions and smoked chicken stock now.   Going to be something smoky in just about everything I make for a while.  LOL 

Good job buddy, quarters are great. Cheap and deliscious and it sounds like you will be getting some milage out of that smoke. 

Thanks for the comment, dougmays.  I usually leave the onions in for at least 2 or 3 hours, depending on what temp I'm smoking at.  These were smoking at 250, and I took the smaller two out after about 2 hours, and left the larger ones in for a little over three hours.  You can pretty much tell when they're done, they get a little soft and cooked looking. 

how long do you leave the onions on? i tried grilling some once for a hour and  they still tasted raw :(

Thanks, Mark!  2010 was my first year smoking.  I just couldn't pass up the chance to get in one last smoke before the buzzer!
icon_cool.gif

Now's thats the way to see the year out. FOOD

Thats way to take the end of the year out. I did the same thing with a pork butt. Nothing like hanging out and drinking a few cold ones while doing one of my favorite things. 

Chicken looks great and the onions with the seasoning.....NICE! I think I may have to drop by the western plains for a surprise dinner 
biggrin.gif

Chris

5371a260_122410_1186.jpg

Does the smoke penetrate into the garlic with the skins still on? Ive never done garlic that way. I usually pull the cloves apart and peel them. Smoke them for a couple hours and throw them in a nice air tight jar and in the fridge they go. 

Chris

"Does the smoke penetrate into the garlic with the skins still on? Ive never done garlic that way. I usually pull the cloves apart and peel them. Smoke them for a couple hours and throw them in a nice air tight jar and in the fridge they go. "

The smoke does not saturate the garlic like it would if peeled, plus I'm not trying to cook the garlic like when you're roasting a head or cloves so they squeeze out mushy onto a piece of bread or anything.  These were in with my rib roast @ Xmas, so they were in temps from 275-225 for about 3-1/2 hours. I've left them in with pork until it was foiling time, it's not a set formula - I go by the color, mostly.   The smoke flavor is quite subtle, when you use them you need more cloves than raw or peeled smoked. The outer cloves get smokier than the inner ones.  I like that they can be mashed or sliced, and add a different type of garlic-ness to a dish.  I sauteed some baby bok choy with chopped up cloves and olive oil the other night, tasty.  Plus, they make great party favors and little gifts!  

"Does the smoke penetrate into the garlic with the skins still on? Ive never done garlic that way. I usually pull the cloves apart and peel them. Smoke them for a couple hours and throw them in a nice air tight jar and in the fridge they go. "

The smoke does not saturate the garlic like it would if peeled, plus I'm not trying to cook the garlic like when you're roasting a head or cloves so they squeeze out mushy onto a piece of bread or anything.  These were in with my rib roast @ Xmas, so they were in temps from 275-225 for about 3-1/2 hours. I've left them in with pork until it was foiling time, it's not a set formula - I go by the color, mostly.   The smoke flavor is quite subtle, when you use them you need more cloves than raw or peeled smoked. The outer cloves get smokier than the inner ones.  I like that they can be mashed or sliced, and add a different type of garlic-ness to a dish.  I sauteed some baby bok choy with chopped up cloves and olive oil the other night, tasty.  Plus, they make great party favors and little gifts!  
nice, thanks. I was curious about that. I dont let the cloves smoke until they are mushy either. i give them about 2-2.5 hrs at 225. they are still pretty firm and you can slice or chop them. Mmmmm, smoking anything makes it taste so much better. HAHA

Thanks for the comment, papagreer!   I'm trying to remember to throw on some onions just about every time I smoke.  You just can't beat them for sneaking a little smoke into whatever you're cooking up.  They come in so handy in practically everything.

Thanks for asking the question about the garlic, too.  Now I want to try some with skin and without skin. and I plan on smoking some all the way to soft, too.  I think the idea of squeezing some smoked garlic right onto some bread sounds pretty dang good.  So does having some garlic on hand with just a subtle bit of smoke.  This will definitely be interesting to play around with.  My hat's off to TheBarbeQueen!

Thats way to take the end of the year out. I did the same thing with a pork butt. Nothing like hanging out and drinking a few cold ones while doing one of my favorite things. 

Chicken looks great and the onions with the seasoning.....NICE! I think I may have to drop by the western plains for a surprise dinner 
biggrin.gif

Chris

Oh man, that sounds so good, BarbeQueen!

Aww, Thanks Wntrlnd!!  I'm putting some onions in with my obscene sausage stuffed pork loin today! so Cheers right back at'cha!
Thanks, Dtcunni!

Yummmmm Yummmmmmmmmm! NIce and Shiny!
Thanks much, Arnie!  I originally got the idea from a Beer Can Chicken Q view where an onion was jammed into the chicken's neck.  That got me to thinking, I bet there's a million uses for smoked onions.  And there really are.

What a great idea!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky