My best bacon - ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
pushok2018 pushok2018 thanks, I've been using .25% too

Other quick question - vacsealing, i've debated vacsealing to allow the movement of all the spices/garlic/etc. I currently use 2.5 gallon ziplocs. I guess since it's best you've had you don't have a problem masssaging the cure/rub around the meat...

Personally, I prefer the "vacseal" method to "ziploc" but there is nothing wrong with ziplocs - just try to create more vacuum in your ziploc bag. Try to use double zip bags... You can "massage" bacon or other meats during dry curing using both methods.

pushok2018 pushok2018 & Bearcarver Bearcarver
The calculator I'm using (http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html) tells me 1.82g of cure for the relatively small (1.61lbs) pork belly I was able to get today.

2020-06-10 14_43_04-DiggingDogFarm.jpg

I don't have a scale that can go detailed enough to measure 1.82g, which calculates to = .29 tsp, just between 1/4 and 1/3 tsp, based on several conversion calculators I checked.

Does that look right? And since I don't have a scale that measures accurately enough to weigh 1.82g, when creating my .29tsp amount, is it better to err very slightly on too much?

Appreciate any suggestions on my first try at this!

pushok2018 pushok2018 & Bearcarver Bearcarver
The calculator I'm using (http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html) tells me 1.82g of cure for the relatively small (1.61lbs) pork belly I was able to get today.

View attachment 448872

I don't have a scale that can go detailed enough to measure 1.82g, which calculates to = .29 tsp, just between 1/4 and 1/3 tsp, based on several conversion calculators I checked.

Does that look right? And since I don't have a scale that measures accurately enough to weigh 1.82g, when creating my .29tsp amount, is it better to err very slightly on too much?

Appreciate any suggestions on my first try at this!

Since it's such a slight amount of difference, I would err on the heavy side, because there's less chance that small amount of xtra will hurt you than the small shortage will cause it to not get the curing job done. However that small amount will not hurt either way. IMHO

Bear

Reactions: Danabw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky