My best bacon - ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2017
San Francisco East Bay area, CA
As soon I had to go out for shopping anyway, I decided to drive a little further (about 30 min one way)to get some pork belly to make some bacon. My destination was Smart FoodService (used to be Cash & Carry). There were only three slabs on the shelf so… not too much to choose from. I grabbed one which is totaled 6.5 kilo (14.3 #). Divided the slab into four pieces and on scale to get precise weight for each of them. Measured all ingredients using a Cure calculator. Applied mix of cure (Cure 1, salt and sugar)to each of pieces and vac sealed them. In the fridge for 10 days, massaging them daily…. In 10 days I removed them from the fridge and rinsed them off in cold water, then I patted them dry. Yes, I did a fry test for salt flavor and it was perfect. Back into fridge for 24 hours to rest till tomorrow. Next day – a smoking day! I used bearcarver’s process for smoking - Bacon (Extra Smoky) - and here it is: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/bacon-extra-smoky.108099/

I smoked bacon for 9 hours (two and a half less then bearcarver did) but smoke taste was right there, where I wanted it to be – not over smoked or under smoked. By whatever reason bacon's IM temp didn't reach 120F (like in bearcarver's case) but it was at 105F. BTW, I remember there was a discussion on this forum if there are any benefits of hanging bacon during the smoke or lay it on the shelves. This was first time I hanged them and was
very pleased with the result – color was very nice, better then when I smoked bacon on shelves…

IMG_2462.jpg

After 9 hours of smoke I let bacon to cool down then wrapped all pieces with plastic wrap in and the fridge for 24 hours.

IMG_2465.jpg

Next day I unwrapped bacon and left in the fridge unwrapped for another 24 hours… After that I placed all pieces of bacon in the freezer for 3 and a half hours before I start slicing process. My slicing process was like this: sliced first piece (then second, third and fourth) and using my scale divided into portions of 5-6 ounces. Each portion placed on wax paper and covered with wax paper and…. In the freezer till I could vac pack all of them. Oh, man… this was time consuming….
IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

This morning I had “bacon & eggs” for my breakfast… Well…. This was my best bacon I ever made! Very happy with the result. Thank you all for sharing your experience and knowledge on this forum. I am sure it would be hard to achieve what I achieved without you, guys. My opinion anyway….
IMG_2477.jpg

Thank you for watching.

Attachments

• IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 11
Nice work ! Great color and awesome slice . Nice lean to fat on that belly . Big like for this .

Reactions: pushok2018
Looks good! Even better that it's your best yet. I'm with you, without the help from other members here I wouldn't have the know how on how to cure my own bacon.

Ryan

Nice work ! Great color and awesome slice . Nice lean to fat on that belly . Big like for this .
Thank you, chopsaw! I appreciate your like!
Looks good! Even better that it's your best yet. I'm with you, without the help from other members here I wouldn't have the know how on how to cure my own bacon.
Thank you, Ryan. Exactly. The help and willingness to help from this forum members is hard to overestimate.... Thank you for the like!

Last edited:
Outstanding color on those slabs! But hey... where's the black pepper? I prefer hanging bacon too or an alternate, using my rib rack.
thirdeye, Thank you. You got it right: I didn't use BP this time. I was debating: use it or not and decided not to this time - just to find if this process will work for me. It really did and my next batch - mark my word - half of it will be covered with BP & half with maple syrup. I appreciate your like!

Looks really good. I doing a slab this weekend. I guess I will try running it at 120.
Thanks, Brian. This is what I did - U ran it at 139F for first hour and then consistently at 120F.
Looks like some great eats . Nice job. . .
Thank you, winterrider! Yes, I did enjoy the bacon this morning! :emoji_wink:

Man....all I can say is kudos to you!! I too learned how to make bacon from the folks in this forum and it's been a life changer. Congrats on doing your best of the best!!

Robert

Beautiful looking bacon Push, great color. Hanging is the only way I've ever done bacon, I think you get a more even smoke distribution that way. Niece piece of work, Like! RAY

Congrats on doing your best of the best!!
Thank you, Robert! Yes, this was my best and I am happy about it!!!! :emoji_laughing:
Beautiful looking bacon Push, great color. Hanging is the only way I've ever done bacon, I think you get a more even smoke distribution that way. Niece piece of work
Thank you Ray and I appreciate your like! Agreed, hangin bacon is ONLY my way to smoke it from now and on....

Looks Great, Pushok!!
I went to 11 hours on that one, because that's how long my AMNPS kept smoking.
And the IT doesn't matter, as long as you keep your smoker below 140°, so it doesn't render.
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

Nice work on the bacon! Really like both the color and lean/fat ratio! I can relate to the amount of work after the smoke in getting everything sliced, sorted and packaged...but once you fry some up, you say to yourself, "Heck yeah, that was worth it!" :emoji_ok_hand::emoji_relaxed:

The local Costco had a deal on pork belly—they had skinless hunks (3-4" thick) so I picked up a few packages. They are currently curing in the outside fridge—soon to be cold-smoked later this week. Because of their shape, I'll probably rack them vs hang them. We'll see, come smoking time.
Enjoy that bacon!

-Kevin
(shot of belly slabs, maple-sugared & curing...)
bacon_cure.jpg

I can relate to the amount of work after the smoke in getting everything sliced, sorted and packaged...but once you fry some up, you say to yourself, "Heck yeah, that was worth it!"
Thank you, Kevin! This is exactly how I felt right after I fried bacon for first time. Never ever buying bacon from stores again....
The local Costco had a deal on pork belly—they had skinless hunks (3-4" thick) so I picked up a few packages. They are currently curing in the outside fridge—soon to be cold-smoked later this week. Because of their shape, I'll probably rack them vs hang them. We'll see, come smoking time.
Wow! 3-4" thik? You got so lucky!I wish I could find becon with such thickness... Anyways - good luck with smoking your bacon this week! Thank you for the like - it's much appreciated!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky