My April Throwdown 2022 " Smoked Standing Steak Tubes..."

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Smoked Standing Steak Tube Stuffed with Mozzarella, Wild Rice, Peppers, onions and smoked Bacon and Grilled Root Vegetables

First I would like to say thank you to Brian bmudd14474 bmudd14474 for doing all the work in putting these together for our enjoyment
and to BandCollector BandCollector and civilsmoker civilsmoker for their entries also. And everyone that voted . Thank You all

Now back to this different way of making my dish. LOTS of pictures as this was a different build

- First started with a couple packages of Eye of Round Steak as I could not get skirt Steak. pounded them out pretty good so I could roll them later. Around 1/4" thick, next time little larger steak to start with.
DSC_4648.JPG

DSC_4649.JPG

- Soaked in Club House Mesquite Marinade with chopped onions and a little Garlic
DSC_4650.JPG

- Cooked up the Wild rice, fried up onions, mushroom's and Green and Red peppers, Green onions, and Cilantro, took out a package of my Back Bacon, and sliced and chopped up some mozza
DSC_4651.JPG DSC_4652.JPG DSC_4654.JPG
DSC_4655.JPG

DSC_4663.JPG

DSC_4664.JPG

DSC_4665.JPG

- So the filling except for the cheese is ready. While this was cooking I pulled out the steaks and prepared to roll.

NOW this is where it gets weird....and Don't laugh.

- I picked up a piece of ABS pluming pipe 2". it was new and I washed it . Than I wrapped it in Cling Wrap. Just in case and to help the steak to slide off.
- Rolled the steak around the tube , 2 lines of string and a couple tooth picks for safety on the seams. ( The pipe is 2" and I cut them to 4" long )
DSC_4657.JPG

DSC_4656.JPG

DSC_4658.JPG

- Wrapped and ready for the freezer for approx. 1 hour. Some of the steak hung past the pipe on the bottom so I could tuck it in to hold the stuffing during the smoke/cook

- So out of the freezer and slide the tubes out , worked better than I thought it would. Before I filled them I rolled in oil and salt and peppered the outside of the steak tubes.
- Brought in one of my smoking baskets and tried to figure out how I was going to keep them from falling over ....So this is what I came up with ...Sometimes I amaze myself, ha ha .

DSC_4666.JPG

- So in a bowl I mixed the Wild rice and all the other ingredients together. Started filling the tubes. Put in small strips of cheese , a spoonful of the mix, cubes of mozza, more mix and so on until full

DSC_4667.JPG

DSC_4668.JPG

DSC_4669.JPG

DSC_4670.JPG

- Smoker is set at 275deg. and Mesquite chips and 1 chunk are doing their job.

DSC_4673.JPG

- After 2 1/2 hours they are ready to bring back into the house ( IT was 160 but the probe was in the filling not the meat )
DSC_4677.JPG

- Had the root veg, on a pan in the BBQ . Potatoes , red onions , Celery and carrots. Oiled up and spiced up

DSC_4676.JPG

- And here is the photo I entered ( but I must have taken a dozen or so. )
Smoked Standing Steak Tubes - Stuffed with Mozzarella,Wildrice,Peppers,Onions and Smoked Bacon...JPG

We had lots of the filling left so heated some up and had a plate of a very tasty meal. Here is a couple pictures of the sliced Steak Tube
DSC_4698.JPG

DSC_4696.JPG

Will that was a lot longer than I thought . I know I am long winded but wanted to show most of the process. And hope I did not forget anything.

Again thanks for the votes and the fun of doing this.

( Next time I will use larger steaks as they just fit around the 2" tubes , a couple did not so I just rolled them with filling in them and they laid down like a normal steak roll would have . lol )

David

Attachments

• DSC_4671.JPG
    DSC_4671.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_4672.JPG
    DSC_4672.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 7
Beautiful, creative work that looks delicious!!!! That is some patience and love! Thank you for sharing, I’m going to give this a go at a special cook! Congrats David!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Beautiful, creative work that looks delicious!!!! That is some patience and love! Thank you for sharing, I’m going to give this a go at a special cook! Congrats David!

Thanks Jed for the love and the comment

Yes there were some head shaking moments and hope this would work , as it is just things I think should work. But until it comes out of the smoker ....I just don't know for sure.
Next time bigger steak and bigger tube, lol

David

Reactions: bauchjw
Lotta work went into that meal and it sure did pay off. Looks great David.

Point for sure
Chris

Lotta work went into that meal and it sure did pay off. Looks great David.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

It was a little more than the normal me throwing on some ribs.
But the hard part was trying to figure out how to roll than fill. It all worked out .
And than to smoke them in the up position.

David

Very nice, and I wondered how you got the cylinders so round and tall! Very igneous! You earned it!

Absolutely amazing David. One of the most creative and beautiful meals I've ever seen. Very well done and congrats on the win.

Robert

Very nice, and I wondered how you got the cylinders so round and tall! Very igneous! You earned it!

Thanks civil for the like and the comment.

Yes I knew what I wanted to do after a while like I mentioned in another post. But took me awhile to figure out how to pull it off. Next time a little bigger steak to start with .
@ od the flattened steaks were too small to wrap around the tube . So I just rolled them , they were my backup incase the main ones fell apart or just did not work
DSC_4678.JPG

David

Absolutely amazing David. One of the most creative and beautiful meals I've ever seen. Very well done and congrats on the win.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

The steaks were very tender, nice mesquite marinade was very good also. And the flavors in the filling was fantastic
And thanks Robert on the congrats.

David

Well David, I just have to say I love how your mind thinks! That is a delicious looking meal and very creative...great job!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky