My AMNPS experience

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

patinlouisiana

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
Baton Rouge, LA
I received my AMNPS the other day and did a test run in my smoker. lit both ends and let it go. Lasted at least 8 hours but I went to bed before it went out. So I loaded it up again and lit both ends again. gave it a good 10 minutes before blowing it out. Placed it in the MES with a pair of butts. in less that half an hour it went out?????
Any suggestions?

was your top vent all the way open, did you pull your chip loader out a little, was there any liguid dripping on it, sometimes there just might be to much moisture in the mes.some people have trouble keeping them lit inside their mes me being one of them, I went to the mailbox mod now no problems

Any reason you are lighting both ends? Just trying to get extra smokey? Just curious.

Were all the pellets burnt up or it just went out? Like Jim said above could be many factors. Make sure the chip dumper is pulled halfway out in the dump position and top vent wide open. I had trouble for a little while when I first got mine but normally don't have any problems keeping it lit anymore. MES40 put it in the bottom left corner under the water pan.

I always run my pellets in the microwave for 60 seconds before I light them to draw out any moisture that might be in there. Give that a try next time.

I have a pan on the shelf above it so no dripping.
Had to close the vent as the MES would not get above 150 with it open.
Never thought to take out the side loader.

Any reason you are lighting both ends? Just trying to get extra smokey? Just curious.

Were all the pellets burnt up or it just went out? Like Jim said above could be many factors. Make sure the chip dumper is pulled halfway out in the dump position and top vent wide open. I had trouble for a little while when I first got mine but normally don't have any problems keeping it lit anymore. MES40 put it in the bottom left corner under the water pan.

I always run my pellets in the microwave for 60 seconds before I light them to draw out any moisture that might be in there. Give that a try next time.
L lit both ends in case one end went out ;-)

I don't know what the pellets did as it is still cooking. just never got any smoke coming out except the initial hour or so. I'll try the relocation next time. Thanks

I don't know what the pellets did as it is still cooking. just never got any smoke coming out except the initial hour or so. I'll try the relocation next time. Thanks

If you still got meat in the smoker pull the tray out and light it again then put it back in in about 10 minutes.

Had to close the vent as the MES would not get above 150 with it open.
Never thought to take out the side loader.

That's your problem right there. There's no air flow getting to the pellets so they are just smoldering out. Pull the chip dumper out halfway in the dump position and open the top vent all the way and you should be good to go!

Reactions: zwiller
If you still got meat in the smoker pull the tray out and light it again then put it back in in about 10 minutes.

That's your problem right there. There's no air flow getting to the pellets so they are just smoldering out. Pull the chip dumper out halfway in the dump position and open the top vent all the way and you should be good to go!
Why did it burn for 8+ hours on the test run? Anyway it is too late this time I wrapped the butts after 7 hours.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
sounds like you closed the vent pretty early in your smoke, sometimes when you put cold meat in the smoker it will take some time to get back up to temp.

It has not been opened in 3 1/2 hours but it has only reached 201F. Set at 175F
i'm assuming you meant set at 275, are you using a independent thermometer, don't trust the mes thermometer they are not accurate. did you check the internal temp of the butt

Open vent wide open on all smokes, pull the chip loaded out, don't use the water pan until after the smoke is to your liking (3-5hrs). heavy moisture especially during the first part of the cook along with not enough air flow will dampen the AMPS and snuff it out. Also no air flow tends to create creosote deposits that tastes bad on the meat product you are trying to smoke. Be thinking about doing a modification to an external smoke boX (MAILBOX) and you will solve this forever and be pleased.

HT

Don't put water in the water pan of an MES---EVER!!!!
Never close your top vent. Run it wide open, unless it's windy, then close it 1/2.
No Extension cord!
Pull chip dumper out about 3".

Try emptying you smoker, do what I said above & see what happens with your Temps.

BTW: Lighting one end of an AMNPS should give you between 10 & 12 hours of light smoke.
If you're getting 8 hours with both ends lit, something else is wrong.

Bear

Reactions: zwiller
If you close the MES vent, the AMNPS will go out. It is as simple as that.

The AMNPS needs air. Some people even modify the chip loader tray to enlarge the air holes. When I still used my AMNPS inside the MES (I now use it in a popcorn tin and feed the smoke into the MES), I replaced the no-longer-needed chip loader with a tin can that had big holes punched into it.

You need to fix your temperature problem. The MES should be perfectly capable of getting to the 275° F max temperature and maintaining that, even if full of food. It sounds like you have a bad unit. Also, if you close the vent, the smoke won't exchange very often and you'll get less than great results.

Last edited:
Open vent wide open on all smokes, pull the chip loaded out, don't use the water pan until after the smoke is to your liking (3-5hrs). heavy moisture especially during the first part of the cook along with not enough air flow will dampen the AMPS and snuff it out. Also no air flow tends to create creosote deposits that tastes bad on the meat product you are trying to smoke. Be thinking about doing a modification to an external smoke boX (MAILBOX) and you will solve this forever and be pleased.

HT
Thanks!

Don't put water in the water pan of an MES---EVER!!!!
Never close your top vent. Run it wide open, unless it's windy, then close it 1/2.
No Extension cord!
Pull chip dumper out about 3".

Try emptying you smoker, do what I said above & see what happens with your Temps.

BTW: Lighting one end of an AMNPS should give you between 10 & 12 hours of light smoke.
If you're getting 8 hours with both ends lit, something else is wrong.

Bear

I put a 3" aluminum 90 on my vent for when it's windy. It fits perfectly and holds tight. The MES vents well in the wind. Haven't tried it in any really strong winds yet.

This is as far as it went.

Attachments

• 06C2330F-76EE-45E0-88EE-6CC4984C0B7C.jpeg
    06C2330F-76EE-45E0-88EE-6CC4984C0B7C.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 26
You need to fix your temperature problem. The MES should be perfectly capable of getting to the 275° F max temperature and maintaining that, even if full of food. It sounds like you have a bad unit. Also, if you close the vent, the smoke won't exchange very often and you'll get less than great results.[/QUOTE]

So you are saying the MES with the vent open should still be able to reach 275 F?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky