My 1st build, a mini reverse flow smoker using a 40 pound propane tank

Discussion in 'Reverse Flow' started by 1961shasta, Mar 26, 2016.

1. 1961shasta

1961shasta Fire Starter

Well I have decided to build a small Smoker that is portable for camping and such.

I am using a 40 pound propane tank.

I met a great guy today who does metal work and helped me with my fire box and cut some stuff for me, even gave me a lot

of cool free pieces. I would have liked the FB to be thicker (it's 1/8th inch, but it was free.

he even bent my baffle plate so the grease will drain to the center at the end,

I'm using 3 inch thick walled chrome exhaust tube for the chimney.

I got highly polished stainless I will use to line the CC door with, should look cool.

I've used the feldon calculator to get my measurements, my FB is only 10x10 which is 138% larger than what is required.

still got a lot do, and some more sciencing on this thing, any suggestions, comments, snide remarks?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  2. smokejumper

smokejumper Smoking Fanatic

Looks like a fine smoker kit to me.

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks like a great start!

Al

4. 1961shasta

1961shasta Fire Starter

Made a lot of progress, I got it sanded down, ground down the welds, cut the door and installed the hinges.also got the FB 80% done.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  5. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

oh yeaa.. this aughta be a neat lil smoker ...

6. 1961shasta

1961shasta Fire Starter

Got the fire box done except for the side vent, I ran of of steel.

grillard likes this.
  7. smokejumper

smokejumper Smoking Fanatic

Nicely done.

8. jamesw

jamesw Fire Starter

9. 1961shasta

1961shasta Fire Starter

1st I uses aircraft paint remover from Orileys auto parts and a metal putty/scrapping knife, that removed about 80% of it (still was a lot of work), then I used a plastic type paint removing wheel from lowes, it looks like a luffa thingy on a wheel about 1/2 inch wide. the wire wheel in the pic was for cleaning up welds.

10. jamesw

jamesw Fire Starter

Looks good

11. Looks good I built the same size. I no longer use Feldons calculator I would recommend using Dave's calculator from the forum. 10x10 seams a littles small mine is quite a bit bigger and definitely use a longer stack than Feldons requires. I couldn't be happier how mine runs. Runs a lot better on charcoal With wood chunks then straight wood. I built a basket for mine. Started a 25 gallon build last week that I'll be posting when it's finished.

12. 1961shasta

1961shasta Fire Starter

how big was your FB to CC opening?

13. I will get you measurements tomorrow can't remember!

14. My fire box is 13" tall 12" wide and 12" deep. My cc opening is 3". My stack is a 2 3/4"X 24" schedule 40 pipe.

1961shasta likes this.
  15. 1961shasta

1961shasta Fire Starter

Not much progress to report, I done some measuring top/bottom center, left right ect, and marked some lines, and added a stainless steel rod and handle. bending that half inch stainless rod was a job.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  16. Looks good.

17. 1961shasta

1961shasta Fire Starter

Made some more progress, got the RF plate welded in the holes cut, and joined them together, added some legs, still need a chimney and a couple of handles on the air vents and my door latch.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  18. 1961shasta

1961shasta Fire Starter

I finally figured out my fire box door handle, I used a 1/4 inch stainless bar and a stainless wire handle.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  19. 1961shasta

1961shasta Fire Starter

Just finished adding the chimney, all I like is the grease trap in the bottom, lining the door with metal trim and painting it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  20. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice build!