Mustard oil for making hot pickles.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

belair427

Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Topeka, KS
Sorry in advance if this post is misplaced. I couldn't really find a forum I thought it belonged in. For many years I have been making hot pickle chunks seasoned with mustard oil as a side for most all of my smoked fare. I ran out of mustard oil a few months ago and can no longer find it anywhere. I could get it before at a pharmacy and it was so potent that 5 drops in a quart jar was all that's needed to season my "Take Your Breath Away" pickles. You can imagine how long a little bottle would last. Sometimes several years. Seems the government has decided it was not safe for consumption and no longer allow it to be sold in the US. I contacted a pharmacist friend whose supplier confirmed this as true.

Does anyone know where this type of mustard oil can be found? Any Canadian forum users know if it is still legal in your country? Any help with this would be appreciated. I am not sure my burnt ends will ever be the same without these firey little nuggets!

I went on to Amazon.ca and found it online there, It is also available at health food stores and some grocery stores. Let me know if you can get it that way, or if you know and Canucks that get it to you. My next trip down I could send it but right now I am not sure when I will get time off to. 

Thank you for the reply Canuck! I have order and tried 3 different "mustard oils" from Amazon. Danbur, Tez and KTC. The products,on Amazon are for Indian cooking and have nowhere the potency of the oil I used to be able to get. First batch with the Amazon brands was not seasoned at all with 6 drops to a quart. Second batch I used 2 tablespoons, still barely any taste and no heat at all! The stiff I always got before would infuse a horseradish type of heat that'll clear your sinuses on a cold Kansas winter day!

Last edited:
LOL, Thats good,  ok,  well I can still look, just stay away from those ones. It has me intriuged especially for pickles.

Sorry in advance if this post is misplaced. I couldn't really find a forum I thought it belonged in. For many years I have been making hot pickle chunks seasoned with mustard oil as a side for most all of my smoked fare. I ran out of mustard oil a few months ago and can no longer find it anywhere. I could get it before at a pharmacy and it was so potent that 5 drops in a quart jar was all that's needed to season my "Take Your Breath Away" pickles. You can imagine how long a little bottle would last. Sometimes several years. Seems the government has decided it was not safe for consumption and no longer allow it to be sold in the US. I contacted a pharmacist friend whose supplier confirmed this as true.

Does anyone know where this type of mustard oil can be found? Any Canadian forum users know if it is still legal in your country? Any help with this would be appreciated. I am not sure my burnt ends will ever be the same without these firey little nuggets!
I know this is an old post, but I see you're in Topeka, Porubsky's in Little Russia, and Herman's by the Bar-muda Triangle both make them and would probably sell you some oil

I know this is an old post, but I see you're in Topeka, Porubsky's in Little Russia, and Herman's by the Bar-muda Triangle both make them and would probably sell you some oil
Porubky's closed a couple of years ago and theirs are the ones I am looking for. At one time I did get some oil from Jeff Herman but it didn't produce the burn I get from Porubsky's.

Is this just a Topeka thing? I was born there and trying to find out what Porubskys and a friend's mom used and found this. Nothing else about it on the internuts. Hope you found some and am cancelling my Amazon order.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky