Mustard before rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

QuyDaddi

Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
My two favorite type of ribs are St. Louis and Babybacks. Now, I tried the mustard coating and then rub twice and it turned out okay but does anyone really notice a difference if let's say I smoke a rack of ribs of just rub and no mustard?

Reactions: kruizer
My two favorite type of ribs are St. Louis and Babybacks. Now, I tried the mustard coating and then rub twice and it turned out okay but does anyone really notice a difference if let's say I smoke a rack of ribs of just rub and no mustard?
Well, I have never used the mustard to hold the rub and have no problem with the rub staying on. Sometimes, I will rub a bit of oil on first.

Reactions: QuyDaddi
As kruizer said mustard is just a binder to help the rub stick. I prefer to just put the rub on the meat. Wait 10min for it to get wet then flip and do the other side.

I tried mustard the first couple of times I did ribs but as said previously it didn't really add anything and not really needed as a binder. Now maybe you could experiment with some flavored mustards and see if there is a difference.

I think the vinegar helps soften the meat, I use vinegar and apple juice spray on my briskets.

As others have said, I put Yellow Mustard on Pork & Chicken first to help hold the Rub on.
On Beef I coat it with "Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce" (Formerly Worcestershire "Thick") to help the Seasoning Stick (CBP, Gar Powder & Onion Powder).
You can also use olive oil to do the same thing.

Bear

i've tried mustard on ribs but didn't see any difference so I don't use it anymore, usually just put my rub on the night before smoking.

Dijon mustard rubbed ribs are where it's at in my book.
But you have to use a very bold tasting Dijon or the flavor just gets lost.

Most meat is plenty moist by itself to hold the rub. So I've never seen a need for the mustard binder.

Chris

Honey works well to stick the rub, some folks really layer the rub on to build a thick bark, you wont build much thickness without something to help bind it imo

I use a light coating of EVOO to hold the Rub on everything. I tried mustard and didn't like it and it made a bigger mess.

Mike

Using yellow mustard is so ingrained into my process, that it’s just a ritual. Does it make my food taste better? Probably not. Do I think it’s a cheap and effective binder for rubs? Absolutely!

Dave

I don't use a "rub" on my ribs.
I don't like heavy sugar or salt which is the primary ingredients in many rubs.
Try them naked

Like others, tried a few times, didn’t see any real difference vs rub naked. Also don’t use oil as I wonder if it seals pores and inhibits smoke absorption.

Reactions: QuyDaddi and TNJAKE
Awesome thanks for all the tips. I think I might stick with no mustard since the meat is usually "moist" enough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky