MULE'S TRI TIP REVERSE SEAR IN THE MES 40 WITH AMNPS APPLE AND MESQUITE...With QVIEW

Discussion in 'Beef' started by themule69, Aug 15, 2013.

1. They have tri tip on sale right now for 3.99 LB. So that is what I will be reverse searing today. Last night I gave it a splash of Worcestershire, then some kosher salt. fresh ground black pepper. Some garlic and onion powder. Wrapped it in plastic wrap and back into the fridge for a overnite nap. Pulled it out and went and got the MES40 and AMNPS going. i have Mesquite on one side and apple on the other.

3+LB tri tip 3.99LB

Out of the package and a quick rinse.

Rubbed down.

Ready for it's nap.

out of the fridge getting ready for a ride in the warm smoky MES

Ready to smoke

AMNPS smoking away. Ready to go in the MES40

The ride has began. It will be a nice slow ride in the smoker.

More to come as the smoke rolls.

Happy smoken.

David

2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Its going to be fantastic! Make some of JJ's Aus Jus too!

I love tri tip! It's on sale here right now too, $3.25 lb. in the bulk  (5-6 per pack). Better get some in the freezer!

3. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

$3.99 ?!?!

I would buy it at that price too!!!!

[​IMG]

Bear

4. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

Reverse sear is the way to go, that's how I did mine in the drum. This thread is bound to make hungry to do another.. Still trying to find good prices though!

5. Case

I wish I could find them for 3.25 lb

David

6. I agree with the reverse sear. I'll take a bite for you since I made you hungry[​IMG]

David

7. fwismoker

Sppppppppppp!

8. radio

radio Smoking Fanatic

Bet that is gonna be a knock out!  Keep the Qview coming!

9. I now have to figure out wish toy will get the pleasure of the sear????

10. dirtsailor2003

David these come from our restaurant supply. Have to buy 20lbs+ at a time, but it's worth it! I repack them and freeze. Right now the Chain Grocery stores are advertising Tri-tip for $6.99 a lb on sale, normally $8.99 lb. Even not on sale at the restaurant supply its only $3.55 lb. Angus tri tip is $3.85 lb. Picked up spares and baby backs for $1.29 and $1.49lb yesterday. 3 racks per pack!!!

11. dirtsailor2003

The last one I did directly on the coals!!! Just blow off the ash and throw it right on!

12. [​IMG]I don't have caols..........I'm using the MES!

When i was a boyscout leader. I cooked straight on the coals alot. it sure does make a nice crust.

Now I[​IMG]  which toy to use today.

David

13. fwismoker

The charcoal is the only way. David build a mini and you wouldn't have those tough decisions to make. ;)

14. fwismoker

David or this...

15. [​IMG]I don't have a mini!!!!

16. My UDS will do that. But I'm using a MES today[​IMG]

17. smoker temp is 130° IT is 90° the smoke is rolling. It is going to be so GOOD![​IMG]

18. fwismoker

David if we didn't give you a hard time.. Who would??? )))))

19. fwismoker

David how do you sear in your UDS, Do you drop your cooking grate all the way down or pull out the basket and sit the grate on top?

20. dirtsailor2003

Well since you don't have any proper tools [​IMG]   for the reverse sear, I'd recommend doing the only logical thing [​IMG]. Foil it and finish it in the oven. Might even recommend a finished IT of 200* or so...