Mu Ping

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Have been craving Mu Ping (Thai Grilled Pork Skewers). I happen to have a pork cushion thawing so that is what was for dinner. The WSM works great for this as these type of skewers work best not directly on the fire. For those that only have a grill you can set up a couple bricks on the grate and span the skewers between them.

For the marinade you will need the following (this is enough for 2-3 pounds) My cushion was around 1.5 pounds I still made the whole batch. I also marinated two chicken breasts for my wife since she wont eat pork.

You want to slice the meat into 1/4" thin by 1" +/- wide strips.
  • 1/4 cup tightly packed, roughly chopped cilantro ( I used 1 1/2 tsp. of coriander powder)
  • 6-8 cloves garlic minced or ground into paste
  • 3 tablespoons palm or light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce (I never have this so I double the light soy)
  • 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 1 tablespoon (or more) gochujang or sambal olek or sriracha
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (reserve rest of can for basting). If milk has separated mix well prior to measuring out.
You can add other stuff to the marinade too. Lemon grass is nice, chopped jalapeno instead of hot sauce, lime juice.

Combine all of the above ingredients. Pour over meat, massage in and allow to marinate 4-24 hours.
Prep your pit. I ran the grate temp at 365°.
Thread strips of meat onto skewers. I used 8" wooden skewers. You want to thread the meat onto the skewer length wise. I insert the skewer every 1/2"-3/4" or so. Bunch meat up like an accordion and tight.
Place skewers on grill (offset if using a normal BBQ). For WSM top rack, no water bowl or diffuser.
Immediately baste top with coconut milk.
Every 3-5 minutes flip the meat and baste.
It doesn't take long for the meat to cook being so thin. I usually keep cooking until I run out of coconut milk to baste with. Meat always come out tender and juicy.

Didn't get any plated pics but we served it over an Asian inspired salad. Usually I'd serve it with rice.

50540318763_17748e9c68_c.jpg

50541046246_4abe97ac9a_c.jpg

50540319183_b1ab9d3802_c.jpg

50540319443_51c53e853a_c.jpg
Chicken Done!

50540319193_9ef73ff511_c.jpg
Pork on.

50541046806_e7eb60e826_c.jpg
Pork Done!

Looks good to me!
I love Thai food and this is starting an itch that may need serious scratching.
This is one of my favorite ways to grill meat. Really don't do it enough and everytime that I make it I'm like why didn't I make this again sooner!

Yum
Love Thai. I have a good stock of chilies and basil.
Wife has been asking for chicken (Gai) curry.
Grilled, I usually go for Satay, but this needs a try.

Love the marketing on meat cuts. Traditional cushion comes from the picnic or front leg/shoulder, not the sirloin rump. I guess they got confused with butt?

Sounds great. I was just commenting in a similar thread, how most of the ingredients are Classic Chinese. You would expect a Thai recipe to be all Fish Sauce, Lemon Grass, Galangal, Palm Sugar and crazy hot Thai Bird Chiles. Your recipe sounds really good. I would sub coriander as well. My Wife is one of those folks that perceive Cilantro as Soapy. For me, no Cilantro in Thai and Vietnamese taste like some major flavor is missing!... JJ

Sounds great. I was just commenting in a similar thread, how most of the ingredients are Classic Chinese. You would expect a Thai recipe to be all Fish Sauce, Lemon Grass, Galangal, Palm Sugar and crazy hot Thai Bird Chiles. Your recipe sounds really good. I would sub coriander as well. My Wife is one of those folks that perceive Cilantro as Soapy. For me, no Cilantro in Thai and Vietnamese taste like some major flavor is missing!... JJ
My wife doesn't care for fresh cilantro either. If I buy a bunch we rarely use it all so I always keep coriander on hand. Both ground and whole. Now with Covid fresh produce like cilantro is hit and miss here.

I agree that coriander is a must in Thai and Vietnamese food. Speaking of Vietnamese I think I'll have Pho for lunch!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky