Mrs Neusihin’s Pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
2D68F6AA-0BE3-405C-B4D2-A1554271FE1A.jpeg
D97198B3-E2F3-468E-9FB3-E18EEBA7D246.jpeg
EA672A99-A3A3-4E5C-81CD-191B7F074868.jpeg

Anyone who grew up in the PNW would know these pickles. They were made in Portland Oregon. Pickle making was big business in the Jewish community. These were the only pickles my family would buy. When my parents were kids they were fished out of the wooden pickle barrel at the store.

These are a fermented pickle and contain no vinegar. The company sold to another Portlenad based pickle company Stienfelds. The recipe remained the same until Stienfelds was sold. The pickles can still be bought but the recipe is not the same.

I recently found this recipe online. Everyone that has tried it says it is the closest thing to the original.

I’ll find out in 5 weeks.

Reactions: Jabiru and gmc2003
sounds great . so you wait 5 days to screw the lid on tight ? Then just keep in fridge ?

Reactions: Jabiru
On day 6 screw lid tight and leave on the counter for 6 weeks or until you open them. Once you open to eat they go into the fridge. You store them on the shelf unrifrigderated until you start eating them.

Case, this sounds great. I never got my garden out this year thou. :(

Waiting! These will be ready December 6th... Until then they are sitting on top of the kitchen cabinets, the warmest place in our house.

The grand parents of my first wife made their pickles this way. Absolutely wonderful pickles!
They were Lifelong Seventh Day Adventists.
No radish or red pepper, as I recall. But the Garlic and Grape leaves were base ingredients.
Too soon Oldt, Too late Shmart!

Here's my first try at fermented pickles, Mrs. Neusuhins pickles. Used recipe case shared with me. Week old now, tightened lids, wiped down jars and dated Ready Oct 1st. Will be a long wait ;-)

Mrs Neushins pickles 2018.jpg

JetMan<<<

Now that's the 3rd time today I've come across reference to grape leaves. Where the heck does one get grape leaves ?

Great looking recipe by the way. I'm a bit new to fermented pickles, so that whites stuff looks a bit suspicious to me. I will have a tough row to hoe trying to convince the she-beast they are safe to eat.

Where the heck does one get grape leaves ?

Where I live, in hobby farm country, every other neighbor has grape vines. I didn't plant one since neighbor had one growing on our common fence. Couple weeks ago, neighbor cut out all his vines! I had bag of cukes ready to make into Kosher Dills. Sent an emergency text to a co-worker that evening, next day at work he had a grocery bag full for me. Ask around, you'll find some.

Dan

We've got a couple grape vines growing in our backyard as well as rasberries. Doesn't everyone? :)

Nice looking pickles and recipe. No garden this year so no homemade pickles at our house. bummer.

Point for sure.
Chris

Mosparky,

Quote: so that whites stuff looks a bit suspicious to me

No worries, white stuff is Horseradish!

Jetman<<<

Just made another batch of these. Following Jetmans advice it dawned on me that I can use the grape leafs from our grape vine! So I did!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky