Mozzarella Thursday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
Second time to do Mozzarella   Posted some pictures this time. Didn't get as many as I wanted but doing this by my self missed a few shots

Citric Acid, Rennet , non Chlorinated water

Also trusty Temp gauge

And Milk

I mixed 1.5 tsp of Citric Acid in one cup of non chlorinated water

poured in pot added 1 gal milk (Do not use Ultra Pasteurized )

Slowly stir till temp comes up to 90 º

Remove from burner

Mix 1/4 Rennet Tablet with 1/4 cup non chlorinated water

Stir in rennet mixture very slowly from bottom to top, just a few stirs

Cover and let sit for a min of 5 min (I ended up letting mine sit for about 9 min.

you are looking for a consistency of thick custard.

Once consistency is reached cut in a checkerboard pattern

going all the way to the bottom (You will feel it)

Return to burner and very very slowly start stirring, keep stirring

till the temp reaches 105 º  Then remove from burner

and continue to slowly stir for several more minutes 

Here is where I stopped taking pictures. with your skimmer spoon

start dipping out the cheese curds there will be lots of liquid drain

as much as you can. After removing All the curds from the liquid

Put in a microwaveable bowl, turning the curds back on them selves

and pressing and pressing and draining as much liquid as you can.

Once this is done place in microwave for 1 min on high. Remove from microwave

drain liquid and start kneading the cheese like you would bread dough.

At this point I add my salt  I sprinkle about two tsp. stretch it out salt both sides knead

some more. Then back into the microwave for 30 sec. remove and knead again, 

Should be able to stretch it, if not microwave again for 30 more sec.

Form into whatever shape you like put in an ice water bath for for about 15 min

remove pat dry and eat   I mean put on a plate and in the fridge 

That's it

Very nice, gonna have to try it.

points.gif

Gary that is a great tutorial, I have seen some stores that make their own. What time you smoking it LOL

Thank you    c farmer    its easy and good

Gary

Thank's tropics, it's not hard at all   maybe next time on the smoking

Gary

Hey David it is real simple, got a wild hare last week and decided to give it a try, looked it up on the internet and that was it first batch I made last week turned out great but needed more salt so this time I added more. Flavor is exactly what I was wanting.

Gary

Hoo , Gary. You got Trish looking at this , wants some
drool.gif
. Yankee Pizza Girl , ya know 
biggrin.gif
. We're fixin' ta do some . Let you know how it goes .

Thanks for the look ,Stan . . . 

Hey David it is real simple, got a wild hare last week and decided to give it a try, looked it up on the internet and that was it first batch I made last week turned out great but needed more salt so this time I added more. Flavor is exactly what I was wanting.

Gary
I use to work up north a lot. Most of the stores had cheese curds They had all sorts of flavors added. Garlic, dill, rosemary, and on and on. I would make a meal out of them. Then the deep fried cheese curds with a dipping sauce. I did a honey bee display for the grade school kids yesterday at the county fair. They had a cow milking display going on. I ask the girl doing the display where I could get raw milk. I was thinking making some cheese. She was across the state so she couldn't help me. Oh well I guess the store bought stuff will have to work till I can find the raw stuff.

Happy smoken.

David

I was Thinking ?????    I know Mozzarella is supposed to taste like Mozzarella, But what about Jalapeno, Basel, Garlic or Bacon Mozzarella ?

Gary 

gary how much cheese do you get out of a gallon? I am having a hard time finding Whole Milk,that is not Homogenized

Thanks

Last edited:
It will be homogenized  you don't want ULTRA Pasteurized  Most milk that is processed locally will be pasteurized which is OK  just make sure it's not ultra past.

I didn't weigh my cheese but here is a picture of it on a standard dinner plate

Should be plenty,   You will like making it. Add your salt after you have squeezed out all the water and are pulling and forming it. First time It needed more salt the times after I got it right.

Be sure and send samples of you Lasagna 

Gary

Hello Gary.  Gonna have to try this!  I know a dairy farmer really well so I can get milk fresh from the cow, cream and all.  Should make a fine cheese.  Thanks for posting.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

If I had fresh milk available close I would use it   Should be wonderful   Let me know

Gary

Just came across this old thread, Bout time to make some Mozzarella

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky