Mounted thermometers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richinct

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
I have heard that the mounted thermometers that come with most smokers are notoriously inaccurate. However the one that came on my Masterbuilt was pretty accruate. +/- 3 degrees against my Maverick and when I did a boiling water test.  I say it 'was' accurate because it has stopped working altogether. Are there any good replacements out there? I have looked at Old Smokey brand for about $15-$20 and they had some good reviews but mostly ease of installation etc. I didn't see anyone who reviewed it vouch for it's accuracy. I use 1 probe of the Maverick to monitor the smoker temp but if I have 2 pieces of meat in the smoker I need both probes. I would like to be able to read the smoker temp easily, I don't want to buy another remote.

I bought a couple of 2" dial therms. that had 2" stems at Home Depot that I used on my Char-griller for a while. They worked fine for keeping track of chamber temps.

I bought a couple of 2" dial therms. that had 2" stems at Home Depot that I used on my Char-griller for a while. They worked fine for keeping track of chamber temps.
I saw those at HD,  I think they were only about 10 bucks, maybe I will give it a try.

Thanks

icon_cool.gif

Now I have seen them in the big box stores also. But I guess they would work to if you test them before you mount them.

The ones I bought were only off by about 4 degrees, I think I paid $7 or $8 apiece for them.
That is a a pretty good accuracy, about like my original. I will probably give them a try. Like I said, I would only rely on it when both probes of my digital are being used in meats.

icon_cool.gif

Now I have seen them in the big box stores also. But I guess they would work to if you test them before you mount them.
I would suggest that all therms should be calibrated/tested before any installation occurs. If there is a slight difference, you can make note of it and adjust your temps to compensate for any difference. It's all good my friend.

That is a a pretty good accuracy, about like my original. I will probably give them a try. Like I said, I would only rely on it when both probes of my digital are being used in meats.
Yeah... I just used them to keep an eye on chamber temp flucutuations. Mostly just looked to see if they spiked or plummeted, all my "real" temps come from my meat probes... lol.

dont overtighten the nut or it will ruin the thermometer, i have done that, just barely hand tight is all you want

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky