• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Mounted thermometers?

richinct

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 22, 2010
I have heard that the mounted thermometers that come with most smokers are notoriously inaccurate. However the one that came on my Masterbuilt was pretty accruate. +/- 3 degrees against my Maverick and when I did a boiling water test.  I say it 'was' accurate because it has stopped working altogether. Are there any good replacements out there? I have looked at Old Smokey brand for about $15-$20 and they had some good reviews but mostly ease of installation etc. I didn't see anyone who reviewed it vouch for it's accuracy. I use 1 probe of the Maverick to monitor the smoker temp but if I have 2 pieces of meat in the smoker I need both probes. I would like to be able to read the smoker temp easily, I don't want to buy another remote.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
I bought a couple of 2" dial therms. that had 2" stems at Home Depot that I used on my Char-griller for a while. They worked fine for keeping track of chamber temps.

richinct

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 22, 2010
I bought a couple of 2" dial therms. that had 2" stems at Home Depot that I used on my Char-griller for a while. They worked fine for keeping track of chamber temps.
I saw those at HD,  I think they were only about 10 bucks, maybe I will give it a try.

Thanks

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Now I have seen them in the big box stores also. But I guess they would work to if you test them before you mount them.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
The ones I bought were only off by about 4 degrees, I think I paid $7 or $8 apiece for them.

richinct

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 22, 2010
The ones I bought were only off by about 4 degrees, I think I paid $7 or $8 apiece for them.
That is a a pretty good accuracy, about like my original. I will probably give them a try. Like I said, I would only rely on it when both probes of my digital are being used in meats.

richoso1

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 21, 2007

Now I have seen them in the big box stores also. But I guess they would work to if you test them before you mount them.
I would suggest that all therms should be calibrated/tested before any installation occurs. If there is a slight difference, you can make note of it and adjust your temps to compensate for any difference. It's all good my friend.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
That is a a pretty good accuracy, about like my original. I will probably give them a try. Like I said, I would only rely on it when both probes of my digital are being used in meats.
Yeah... I just used them to keep an eye on chamber temp flucutuations. Mostly just looked to see if they spiked or plummeted, all my "real" temps come from my meat probes... lol.

pandemonium

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 4, 2009
dont overtighten the nut or it will ruin the thermometer, i have done that, just barely hand tight is all you want

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks