Moose "Chili"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Teal101

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
In my family this is considered Chili, for many it is not. I loosely follow this recipe by Sowsage Sowsage every single time I cook chili now. The preparation always results in a fantastic meal.

I cut up 5 small green bell peppers from the garden, 1/4 white onion, 1/2 red onion (what I had in the fridge!) and started those over medium heat in a pan on the stove with bacon grease. Ranch style beans, kidney beans, home canned skinned tomatoes, and a can of tomato paste into the preparation pan. I did not drain anything. For peppers I cut up a large Poblano from the garden and tossed it in. For meat I was going to use Venison, but only had one pack left in the freezer and we hadnt ground up this years deer yet so I grabbed my remaining two packs of Moose burger. I formed it into a meat loaf and liberally sprinkled with Traeger Garlic and Herb rub. Onions and bell pepper was done so in it went, gave it all a stir, topped with the grate of Moose and on the Traeger with Pecan pellets! When the meat reached ~150* I crumbled it into the chili to meld for another hour. Finished off with some cornbread muffins and topped with home smoked cheddar, sour cream, and homemade sweet jalapeno chips. Three of us killed this pot off in two days flat, love it!
20211024_165206.jpg
20211024_180708.jpg
20211024_182723.jpg

Thanks gents!

I too love Moose, rare occasion we get our hands on some though. My mother was unable to harvest one on her trip to BC this year, was really looking forward to more!

Very Very nice Teal, I literally just grabed all the things I needed to do a huge batch this weekend...its deffinatly the season for this kind of meal!! Ill usually make "chilli mac" at some point with leftovers! Good stuff! Big like!

Reactions: Teal101
Thanks guys!

Very Very nice Teal, I literally just grabed all the things I needed to do a huge batch this weekend...its deffinatly the season for this kind of meal!! Ill usually make "chilli mac" at some point with leftovers! Good stuff! Big like!
Yeah we have been having some serious rain and fall is in full swing, it hit the spot! We did chili cheese tots the next night with it and finished it off, good stuff!

Reactions: Sowsage
Thanks guys!

Yeah we have been having some serious rain and fall is in full swing, it hit the spot! We did chili cheese tots the next night with it and finished it off, good stuff!
Tots loaded with chili are amaizing! Heck yeah!

I’d call it chili based on what I grew up on but like others said, call it what you want and then give me a bowl please :) Looks great!

Very nice! I guess it’s a Midwest thing, using beef instead of the moose meat, that’s almost exactly the my family cooked chili. I was in my early 20s before I was told otherwise! Great bowl! Thank you for sharing!

Tots loaded with chili are amaizing! Heck yeah!
They were great, thanks for the recipe! Like I said this has become the staple way to make chili!
I’d call it chili based on what I grew up on but like others said, call it what you want and then give me a bowl please :) Looks great!
Up here in the PNW its chili so thats what we're going with! Thanks.
Very nice! I guess it’s a Midwest thing, using beef instead of the moose meat, that’s almost exactly the my family cooked chili. I was in my early 20s before I was told otherwise! Great bowl! Thank you for sharing!
I've used beef before, but the tang of game meat really livens up the bowl. Lucky for us we have a relatively steady stream of it from family and picking up roadkill haha! Thanks!
Rocky really missed Bullwinkle but that moose chili sure was good. Man I'll take a bowl or two of that.
Jim
Rocky will have to get over it because Bullwinkle was delicious!

Thanks all for the compliments!

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks really tasty. A Texan on another forum I'm a member of referred to this type of chili as Mexican succotash lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky