MONTREAL SMOKED MEAT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Ok, I've heard of this & I just thought it was a Canadian version of pastrami.
Well my neighbor & best friend is a Canadian, actually a US citizen now, but still has his connections in Canada. He got this Montreal smoked meat from a place called Lester's. He said that all you Canadians would recognize the name. I gotta say this stuff is fantastic. It's not pastrami, but honestly I like it better than pastrami. disco disco , I'm sure you must have a recipe on how to make this stuff, cause I really would like to make some for my friend. I doubt it will be as good as what he just brought down, but I'd like to give it a shot. Here is a photo of what he gave us!

IMG_0274.jpg

He said to eat it hot, ie. steam it in a bag in hot water, but I've been eating it out of the bag cold & it has just an incredible flavor. It's really great to have friends from different places with their own unique food. I know what I'm having for dinner!!! This is some good stuff!!!
Al

It's an oddity, sort of like pea meal bacon if you ask me. When you read about the process, it truly sounds like pastrami..but every Canadian I know says it ain't as well Al! I do wonder if you could sous vide.. but I think steaming it before serving is really part of the tradition.

Looks great Al hope Disco replies. Some great things cross the border both north and south. As I have said things like this is what makes this forum so great and everyone sharing.

Warren

Reactions: flatbroke
Ok, I've heard of this & I just thought it was a Canadian version of pastrami.
Well my neighbor & best friend is a Canadian, actually a US citizen now, but still has his connections in Canada. He got this Montreal smoked meat from a place called Lester's. He said that all you Canadians would recognize the name. I gotta say this stuff is fantastic. It's not pastrami, but honestly I like it better than pastrami. disco disco , I'm sure you must have a recipe on how to make this stuff, cause I really would like to make some for my friend. I doubt it will be as good as what he just brought down, but I'd like to give it a shot. Here is a photo of what he gave us!

View attachment 388476

He said to eat it hot, ie. steam it in a bag in hot water, but I've been eating it out of the bag cold & it has just an incredible flavor. It's really great to have friends from different places with their own unique food. I know what I'm having for dinner!!! This is some good stuff!!!
Al
Comparing pastrami to Montreal smoked meat is like comparing hamburger to fillet.

I do have a recipe and make it all the time. There is a downside to this recipe. Friends will take a lot of your supply. Just saying. Also, you all have to go to Montreal and find Schwartz's. It is a pilgrimage thing for people who like smoked meat.

Here is my post with the recipe:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/montreal-smoked-meat-and-the-discussion-with-swmbo.269387/

Reactions: SmokinAl
Looked thru your post Disco, looks very good. And thank you for sharing. It's on the "soon" list.
Thanks Al, for bringing topic to the forefront. And your friend for bringing this treat.

Looked thru your post Disco, looks very good. And thank you for sharing. It's on the "soon" list.
Thanks Al, for bringing topic to the forefront. And your friend for bringing this treat.
Just another time Al has brought a good topic up!

Comparing pastrami to Montreal smoked meat is like comparing hamburger to fillet.

I do have a recipe and make it all the time. There is a downside to this recipe. Friends will take a lot of your supply. Just saying. Also, you all have to go to Montreal and find Schwartz's. It is a pilgrimage thing for people who like smoked meat.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/montreal-smoked-meat-and-the-discussion-with-swmbo.269387/

Thanks for posting the recipe Disco. Is Schwratz's in Old Montreal? Since Montreal is only a little over an hour away we go up there every couple of years for some event. I don't every recall seeing them.

Chris

Thank you so much Disco!
I knew you would have a recipe.
Since it's supposed to be lean, I may just buy a flat & use that for it.
I'm hoping I can make it somewhat as good as he is used to getting.
He's kind of a foodie & will definitely let me know if it's not up to his standards!
But as I said he's my best friend & you can say stuff like that to good friends!
I'm going to bookmark this & make it soon!
Al

Thanks for posting the recipe Disco. Is Schwratz's in Old Montreal? Since Montreal is only a little over an hour away we go up there every couple of years for some event. I don't every recall seeing them.

Chris
No, it isn't in Old Montreal tourist district. You have to go into an old commercial district. If you ask, people can direct you there! It is well known! I should warn you, there is usually a small line up to get in.

Thank you so much Disco!
I knew you would have a recipe.
Since it's supposed to be lean, I may just buy a flat & use that for it.
I'm hoping I can make it somewhat as good as he is used to getting.
He's kind of a foodie & will definitely let me know if it's not up to his standards!
But as I said he's my best friend & you can say stuff like that to good friends!
I'm going to bookmark this & make it soon!
Al
If you ever get up to Montreal and go to Dunn's or Schwartz's you will be asked if you want a lean or fat cut. Of course, lean is from the flat and fat is from the point. The old timers all order the fat cut. I've had both and like both but the fat cut is a thing of beauty. I make mine out of flats now so that I don't get flak from a higher power.

I think your friend will be pleased with this version. It isn't Schwartz's but it is pretty good!

If you ever get up to Montreal and go to Dunn's or Schwartz's you will be asked if you want a lean or fat cut. Of course, lean is from the flat and fat is from the point. The old timers all order the fat cut. I've had both and like both but the fat cut is a thing of beauty. I make mine out of flats now so that I don't get flak from a higher power.

I think your friend will be pleased with this version. It isn't Schwartz's but it is pretty good!

Well Disco, the chances of me ending up in Montreal are about the same as me going to the moon.
So I'm anxious to try your recipe!
Al

Too bad! It is one of the world's great food cities!

I always thought montreal smoked meat and pastrami were the same thing. Excuse my ignorance, I learn something new everyday.

I’m 6 hours away from Montreal, I think a road trip is in order.

I always thought montreal smoked meat and pastrami were the same thing. Excuse my ignorance, I learn something new everyday.

I’m 6 hours away from Montreal, I think a road trip is in order.
There are different flavours used but if you like pastrami you will like Montreal Smoked Meats.

If you go to Montreal, try Dunn's and Schwartz's for the two main purveyors. You also need to go to the Jean Talon market where there is so much great food.

Nice score, Al. You've got a pretty thoughtful and generous neighbor.

I get to Montreal 5-6 times a year on business and a Montreal smoked meat sandwich is always on the agenda. I've done Schwartz's a few times and, for the most part, I personally think it's overrated. While the food is very good, the remainder of the dining experience there sucks. There's always a line down the block to get in, often very long. The best way to go there is by yourself, solo. An employee often comes out looking for single diners to fill a single open seat so you jump to the head of the line and go straight in.

Once inside, it's small, crowded, cramped, somewhat communal seating, and rushed. The general attitude is basically, "Eat, Pay, & Go". While standing in line some time ago at Schwartz's, and getting irritated, I looked across the street and saw the Main Deli and broke rank. Now, I typically go to the Main, Reuben's, Lester's, and a couple other smaller places when I'm in the mood for a smoked meat sandwich. I haven't fully divorced Schwartz's yet, however. A few years ago, I opened an account with them and place an order for 3 lbs. of smoked meat that I pick up on the way to the airport.

And, when you're not interested in smoked meat, as Disco mentioned, Montreal is one of the top food cities in the world.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky