Monster Brisket Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boardgames4bbq

Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
Setup:

So I purchased a packer brisket that was 16.75lbs untrimmed. I trimmed it and rubbed it last night and the current weight is probably somewhere around 15lbs. Even though I have been doing this for over 5 years this is only my second brisket and the last one was okay but a bit dry.  I am using a COS (Oklahoma Joe Highland) burning local oak and cherry in what is supposed to be 10 - 15 mph winds.  My smoker will be turned into the wind somewhat and I have some protection from the wind but not completely. I think I am going to aim for a temperature between 250° and 275°.

Questions:

1. The question everyone asks; How long? Last time I tried this I think the temp was closer to 290° and my 13lb Brisket cooked in 5 hours. I want to back off the temp and now don't have a good gauge of how long. It looks like most people would tell me 15 hours or more plus at least a two hour rest. Sound right?  But do I need to add time because of the wind?

2. Do people mop their briskets and with what?  Franklin's book discusses a spritzer with water but I seem to remember that a lot of KC style using mops.  Why or why not?

3. Steve Raichlen talks about some brisket cheats, and one that seemed interesting but worrisome is placing a piece of cardboard under the meat while cooking.  He discusses poking holes so smoke can get to the meat but I am concerned about paper processing chemicals in my food. This was to protect the bottom from getting dried out, which my last one was. So how do people keep the bottom of their briskets tender and not crispy?

Thanks so much.

Questions:

1. The question everyone asks; How long? Last time I tried this I think the temp was closer to 290° and my 13lb Brisket cooked in 5 hours. I want to back off the temp and now don't have a good gauge of how long. It looks like most people would tell me 15 hours or more plus at least a two hour rest. Sound right?  But do I need to add time because of the wind?

at around 275 i would anticipate about an hour per pound if you shoot to 300 because of wind then maybe 10-12 hours plus rest time.

2. Do people mop their briskets and with what?  Franklin's book discusses a spritzer with water but I seem to remember that a lot of KC style using mops.  Why or why not?

I don't mop or spritz, i have heard of people smoking in a pan of beef broth for moisture but my brisket comes out moist without mop/ spritz/ pan of broth

3. Steve Raichlen talks about some brisket cheats, and one that seemed interesting but worrisome is placing a piece of cardboard under the meat while cooking.  He discusses poking holes so smoke can get to the meat but I am concerned about paper processing chemicals in my food. This was to protect the bottom from getting dried out, which my last one was. So how do people keep the bottom of their briskets tender and not crispy?

I wouldn't do this. just put the meat on your smoker and let is ride util it is probe tender like butter. IT somewhere around 200-205
a tip i can give you is to slice a small piece off angle across the grain before you smoke it. once it has a bark its hard to see the grain for slicing but if you have a starter slice you will know how to cut the flat and keep it tender.

Don't over complicate it its smoking meat...start slow and taper off from there..

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Please be sure to post your smoke temp/time.  

I don't do many briskets either and like seeing others results.

Ed

Please be sure to post your smoke temp/time.  

I don't do many briskets either and like seeing others results.

Ed
So the smoke went mostly okay but I think the temperature my thermometer was reading wasn't the temperature at all so I need to look more into it.  The winds caused me hell for a while when they stated blowing 15-25 down the stack and out the firebox. But I have numbers and data which I will plot/post later in a graph for any who care but I think it is a good example of how to make roast brisket but not buttery brisket. I was between 250 and 300 most of the day and it went on at 3am and came off around 1pm (I think, my notes are out of reach).  (Edit:  It came off at 3:00pm, solid 12 hour smoke)

Without further ado here are the photos from Saturday:

Smokers a bit after dawn

Brisket about 5 hours in

Pork shoulder about 2 hours in

Finished/rested pork shoulder before pulling

Ribs and sausage for kicks

Finished and rested brisket

Sliced brisket.  It wasn't dry but it wasn't very tender.

Last edited:
Reactions: cksteele
Thank you Ed and cksteele. I think I pulled it off at at 207°. I will post my time temp chart for the smoker and the brisket later in the week when I have time to compile it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky