Monday Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
After a long absence, I have been coming to SMF a lot, lately, and figured a quick Q view was in order.

I dusted off the old cheap electric Brinkmann (sucker is around 10 years old, and still works!) for a quick meatloaf smoke.

mm.jpg

Ever since I smoked my first meatloaf, we have never cooked another in the oven .... smoked is the only way to do meatloaf.
Just used your basic meatloaf recipe ... ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, chopped onion and green peppers. Dusted the top with Weber N'Orleans Cajun seasoning, and smoked it using Mesquite chunks. We prefer Mesquite over other woods for meatloaf since we feel like it complements the flavor of meatloaf well. I picked up a pack of these slotted foil pans at Meijer the other day and they are perfect for this.
mm1.jpg

mm2.jpg

mm3.jpg

douge I'm with ya on the no meatloaf in oven since started smoking them years ago. Yours looks great. We talked about doing one last night with smoked mac & cheese this week. Plus must have stewed tomatoes to go with the mac & cheese.

Meatloaf looks great and those older ECB's seem to never die I still have one that looks about like yours but couldn't tell you the last time I used it.
My daughter nor I would eat meatloaf for years of course it was always made in the oven. Wife and son in law love meatloaf and when the wife cooked it she would fix something else for the daughter and I to eat while they ate the meatloaf. I was at a meat market I used to frequent and they had meatloaf already mixed up and ready to put in a pan and cook. Since I was there getting other stuff to smoke I figured I'd make some brownie points and smoke a meatloaf for the wife and son in law since I was smoking other stuff. Well it was a huge hit and of course the wife insisted I try a bite and it was good so told the daughter she had to try it turns out we both like smoked meatloaf :emoji_laughing: Needless to say meatloaf in the smoker is a pretty regular thing anymore.

Reactions: Colin1230
Meatloaf looks great and those older ECB's seem to never die I still have one that looks about like yours but couldn't tell you the last time I used it.
I have one spot in the lava rock pan that's fixing to rust through, but other than that, the rest is pretty solid. I can probably just rivet a piece of sheet metal over that spot and keep it going awhile longer. That old thing sure has smoked a lot of meat over the years, and does a fair job of it. Only complaint I've ever had with it is that the heating element runs wide open all the time. You'd think they would have made it with some means of controlling the temp.

My family is like the others on here. Once we tried smoked meatloaf it’s our only way to eat it. Yours looks great. And day after sammichs are always a win. Not that I have much leftover with a 13yo boy that has a bottomless pit for a stomach.
Jim

Reactions: buzzy
Great looking meatloaf and love the red Brinkman. Smoked some mighty good PP and brisket on mine thru the yrs.

douge, it's great that you got out the old cooker and thanks for posting your cook. Smoked meatloaf is fantastic and the simpler the recipe the better. Your loaf looks great by the way. Have you ever though about trying out a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker? If you enjoy smoking food, I think you would love the results from charcoal and smoke wood.

douge, it's great that you got out the old cooker and thanks for posting your cook. Smoked meatloaf is fantastic and the simpler the recipe the better. Your loaf looks great by the way. Have you ever though about trying out a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker? If you enjoy smoking food, I think you would love the results from charcoal and smoke wood.
Thanks, Colin. I also have an offset charcoal burner, and am going to add a pellet grill (or possibly a vertical pellet smoker) to my lineup. I'm also kicking around the idea of doing a UDS build, ya know, just for the hell of it. Can't have too many smokers.

Reactions: Colin1230
Great looking meatloaf and love the red Brinkman. Smoked some mighty good PP and brisket on mine thru the yrs.
yea, that old red smoker has turned out a lot of decent Q over the years. even though it has always been kept out of the weather, the base and lava rock pan are getting pretty rusty. I can prolly keep it going another year or two, but it's going to end up on the scrap heap before long.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky