1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Mold remediation?

Discussion in 'Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (MES) Owners' started by krzdimond, Mar 7, 2019.

1. krzdimond

krzdimond Fire Starter

I just pulled my MES30 out of storage after 2 years and the inside is covered in mold. My first response is to grab a rag and some bleach and wipe it down, but because I will be "cooking" in it, I'm not sure that is going to be enough. I know bleach interferes with stainless and aluminum, will this be a problem?

I'm going to assume that "hosing it out" is a bad idea? LOL

Boston butts go in on Saturday and I need to get this cleaned out. Nothing puts a damper on a party like food poisoning....

2. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Clean it real good with soap and hot water, use a stiff bristle brush and scrub it good. Then wipe it down with vinegar and a rag. Recoat the inside with oil (spray pam works) then kick that sucker up as hot as you can get it for about 2 hours to sterilize it. Should be good to go then...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    krzdimond likes this.
  3. indaswamp

If you have a BBQ grill, put the MES grates on the grill and fire up the grill to 500*...burn all that gung and junk off of them. Recoat with oil and good to go...

4. fivetricks

fivetricks Smoking Fanatic

Idk how built up your "gunk" is on the inside walls but I've found that a paint scraper does very well.

After you get the bug stuff off with the scraper, follow the scrub/vinegar and water directions above.

5. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

When you get ready to fire it up , keep an eye on it . Since it's been 2 years , make sure it cycles ok before you walk away from it .

krzdimond and indaswamp like this.
  6. indaswamp

Good tip Chop. I had an old one burn up on me when I walked away from it. It had been in storage for 3 years, first time I tried to use it, walked back outside and it was an electrical fire.

7. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Set it to max temp and let it run for a couple hours to kill off the mold. Once cooled spritz the interior with 50/50 solution purple power and water et dwell for 30 minutes then rinse out with plenty of fresh water from a hose. Set it back to max temp let it run for another hour or so to dry everything out then use as normal.

Anytime you need to clean the grates fill the kitchen sink with hot water a splash of purple power and let the racks soak for a few minutes. The grease, oil will scrub right off. The gold "smoke" residue will rinse off.

krzdimond likes this.
  8. indaswamp

Good tips Holly...

Also, the electric element in the MES is fairly easy to remove. I suggest you do so for the intensive cleaning with hot soapy water.

9. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I don't but I'm not saying its not a good idea.

I simply unplug my MES30 soak w/ cleaner, dwell then rinse and tilt forward to drain out as much as possible for a few minutes then plug back in and fire it up.

10. krzdimond

krzdimond Fire Starter

Thanks guys, I got it all cleaned up, now tomorrow morning I'll fire it up and check to make sure it works.

11. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

hose out an electric Smoker???
    While you're at it fill a drum with water & drop all your electric drills & saws in the water.
    No Thanks!

Bear

fivetricks likes this.