Mold remediation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krzdimond

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Savannah GA
I just pulled my MES30 out of storage after 2 years and the inside is covered in mold. My first response is to grab a rag and some bleach and wipe it down, but because I will be "cooking" in it, I'm not sure that is going to be enough. I know bleach interferes with stainless and aluminum, will this be a problem?

I'm going to assume that "hosing it out" is a bad idea? LOL

Boston butts go in on Saturday and I need to get this cleaned out. Nothing puts a damper on a party like food poisoning....

Clean it real good with soap and hot water, use a stiff bristle brush and scrub it good. Then wipe it down with vinegar and a rag. Recoat the inside with oil (spray pam works) then kick that sucker up as hot as you can get it for about 2 hours to sterilize it. Should be good to go then...

Last edited:
Idk how built up your "gunk" is on the inside walls but I've found that a paint scraper does very well.

After you get the bug stuff off with the scraper, follow the scrub/vinegar and water directions above.

Reactions: JLinza
Good tip Chop. I had an old one burn up on me when I walked away from it. It had been in storage for 3 years, first time I tried to use it, walked back outside and it was an electrical fire.

Reactions: JLinza
Thanks guys, I got it all cleaned up, now tomorrow morning I'll fire it up and check to make sure it works.

hose out an electric Smoker???
While you're at it fill a drum with water & drop all your electric drills & saws in the water.
No Thanks!

Bear

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky