Moink Balls using homemade meatballs. Recipe and Qview!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slief

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Simi Valley, Ca
After reading up here on some Moink Ball threads I got a hanker for them. I decided to give it my best shot by making the meatballs from scratch. Having never made a meatball before let alone a Moink ball, I read up on meatballs and mixed up a concoction using a combination of recipes. Its on the smoker now but here is what I have and what I did make them. More Qview and even a Bear view to follow (when they're done).

What I did:

·                      1 ½ pound ground beef

·                      ½ pound ground pork

·                      4 cloves garlic, minced

·                      2 eggs

·                      1 cup freshly grated Romano, Asiago, Parmesan cheese. Its what we had in the fridge and used as a substitute for stright Romono cheese.  

·                      1 1/2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley

·                      salt and ground black pepper to taste

·                      2 cups Italian bread crumbs

·                      1 cup lukewarm water

·                      ¼ cubed pepper jack cheese

·                      Package of bacon cut in half

·                      BBQ sauce (optional)
[h3]Directions[/h3]
·                       Combine beef and pork in a large bowl. Add garlic, eggs, grated cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.

·                       Blend bread crumbs into meat mixture.

·                       Slowly add the water 1/4 cup at a time. The mixture should be very moist but still hold its shape if rolled into meatballs.

·                       Refrigerate meat mixture. The longer the better.  

·                       Shape into meat balls about the size of a golf ball. 

·                       With your thumb make a small hole into the ball and place the pepper jack cheese inside and carefully re-shape so the cheese is in the middle.

·                       Wrap each ball in ½ strip bacon and secure with toothpick.  You may optionally add BBQ sauce at this point.  I did on about half of them.

·                       Place balls in foil lined tray in smoker 230 F for about 3 hours or until bacon is crispy and enjoy.

50ad2b7f_IMG_0696.jpg

3af6e499_IMG_0695.jpg

Last edited:
A bit of Qview after 2 hours of smoke in my MES using the AMNPS with hickory pellets. More to come after we eat them in about 30 - 45 mins.

214c36da_IMG_0698.jpg

Great well proportioned Recipe...Thanks...JJ

All done and I'm full. They came out great and everybody liked them. Next time around I will make a couple changes. I'll add some BBQ sauce to the meatball mix in place of some of the water. I will also cook them directly on the grate instead of on the foil.

Now for the final pics.

b4f03b7d_IMG_0702.jpg

dbe3b1c7_IMG_0703.jpg
2f1881f4_IMG_0704.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky