MODS TO MY LANG 36

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I just thought I would share what I have done to my Lang 36 Patio to get even temps across the entire cooking chamber, including not having the top rack running hotter than the bottom.
I simply put a bread pan full of water next to the fire box, & extended the stack down into the cc about 6 inches.
IMG_0002.jpg

I also added a couple of more gauges and you can see that the entire cooker is running about the same temp!
IMG_0003.jpg

When I first got it, the fire box end was about 20 degrees hotter than the other end & the top rack was about 20 degrees hotter than the bottom rack. But with a little tinkering it is even all the way thru. Very easy fix!!
Al

I don't know much about those smokers, but to get all the Therms reading the same is an Accomplishment on any kind of Smoker or Stove!!
That's Great, Al !!

Bear

Al, that’s a great idea sticking a water pan on top shelf. Is that how you solved the top to bottom variance

Al gets 20 deg difference and thinks of mods. I do my mods and i get 20 deg difference.

You know who to listen to.

Nice setup Al. My first impulse when seing the thread title was "Lang needs mods?". But when i saw the results...

Now i epxect Lang to have a desing change.

Reactions: bauchjw
Don't have one but I like your mod!

Filed away and remembered if I ever smoke on my brother in laws Oklahoma Joe again. Firebox side was way way hotter than the rest. I think the bread pan full of water might help a lot.

Al, that’s a great idea sticking a water pan on top shelf. Is that how you solved the top to bottom variance

No the water pan is on the bottom shelf, I took the top shelf out so you could see the mods better.
The water pan evened out the side to side temps, but extending the stack down evened out the top to bottom variance.
Al

No the water pan is on the bottom shelf, I took the top shelf out so you could see the mods better.
The water pan evened out the side to side temps, but extending the stack down evened out the top to bottom variance.
Al
I see it now, I thought that was a little water bowl but after putting on my glasses I can see the extension lol

I had the same idea for a 20” Horizon, used a drywall mud pan (heli-arc SST) nearly the width of the chamber. Works great.
TView attachment 378858

That is a good idea, and it sure makes a difference!
My bread pan is getting a little weak from the heat, so I will look into the mud pan!
Thanks!
Al

Al, can you explain your mods a little more? Maybe I should just look at mods for a OK Joe and that would be easier. It looks like you put that pan of water on the opposite side of the fire box. I don't understand how that helps keep the heat even across?

I have easily a 20 degree difference on the other side of my hot box. I also only have one level so it causes my temp gauges to basically be useless other than getting an idea of temp. (for me it shows a lot hotter than the probe on my grate. What did extending your smoke stack do also?

Al, can you explain your mods a little more? Maybe I should just look at mods for a OK Joe and that would be easier. It looks like you put that pan of water on the opposite side of the fire box. I don't understand how that helps keep the heat even across?

I have easily a 20 degree difference on the other side of my hot box. I also only have one level so it causes my temp gauges to basically be useless other than getting an idea of temp. (for me it shows a lot hotter than the probe on my grate. What did extending your smoke stack do also?

A Lang is a reverse flow smoker, so the stack & the firebox are on the same end. The water pan is up against the firebox end & that evened out the side to side temps. Extending the stack into the cooking chamber evened out the temps between the top & bottom racks. Hope this helps.
Al

• Love
Reactions: mike243
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky