1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

MODS TO MY LANG 36

Discussion in 'Wood Smokers' started by SmokinAl, Oct 12, 2018 at 11:39 AM.

1. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I just thought I would share what I have done to my Lang 36 Patio to get even temps across the entire cooking chamber, including not having the top rack running hotter than the bottom.
    I simply put a bread pan full of water next to the fire box, & extended the stack down into the cc about 6 inches.
    IMG_0002.jpg
    I also added a couple of more gauges and you can see that the entire cooker is running about the same temp!
    IMG_0003.jpg
    When I first got it, the fire box end was about 20 degrees hotter than the other end & the top rack was about 20 degrees hotter than the bottom rack. But with a little tinkering it is even all the way thru. Very easy fix!!
    Al

kit s and Bearcarver like this.
  2. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I don't know much about those smokers, but to get all the Therms reading the same is an Accomplishment on any kind of Smoker or Stove!!
    That's Great, Al !!

Bear

3. dcecil

dcecil Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Al, that’s a great idea sticking a water pan on top shelf. Is that how you solved the top to bottom variance

4. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Smoking Fanatic

Good job Al!

5. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Al gets 20 deg difference and thinks of mods. I do my mods and i get 20 deg difference.

You know who to listen to.

Nice setup Al. My first impulse when seing the thread title was "Lang needs mods?". But when i saw the results...

Now i epxect Lang to have a desing change.

6. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Don't have one but I like your mod!

Filed away and remembered if I ever smoke on my brother in laws Oklahoma Joe again. Firebox side was way way hotter than the rest. I think the bread pan full of water might help a lot.

7. SmokinAl

No the water pan is on the bottom shelf, I took the top shelf out so you could see the mods better.
    The water pan evened out the side to side temps, but extending the stack down evened out the top to bottom variance.
    Al

8. dcecil

dcecil Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I see it now, I thought that was a little water bowl but after putting on my glasses I can see the extension lol

9. busmania

busmania Smoke Blower

I want to extend my chimney on my Yoder into cooking chamber. Is that galvanized pipe?

10. kawboy

kawboy Smoking Fanatic

On my New Braunsfel I extended the stack to the rack and added about eight inches on the top.

11. hardcookin

hardcookin Master of the Pit

Al
    Good to see you got it dialed in.

12. SmokinAl

Yes it's galvanized, but it doesn't get hot enough where it would be a problem.
    Al

13. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Good job on the mod and it's results Al.... Nothing to do now but go for a drive... Enjoy the ride...

14. SmokinAl

Ha Ha!
    Thanks Dave!
    Al