"Mocha" Tri-Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bjustice22

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
Northern California
I failed to get a before picture of my tri-tip rubbed up and ready for cooking. Anyway, my rub consisted of the following:

2 TBS ground coffee

2 TBS cocoa powder

2 TBS. sea salt

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp. cayenne powder

1/2 tsp. chipotle powder

* enough rub for probably 8lbs of meat

Mixed that into a small plastic bag and rolled to remove brown sugar clumps.

Coated my tri-tip (approximately 3 lbs) with rub and wrapped tightly with plastic wrap. Placed in fridge for about 24 hours.

I heated up my MES30 to 225*, filled the water pan with this mornings leftover coffee and water, added apple and cherry chips and plan to smoke to an IT of 160*.

Well, I went against my better judgement and cooked to an IT of 175* since I've read to cook brisket to 180*. It came out a little dry but not terrible. Next time I will cook to an IT of 145*. Lesson learned!

Last edited:
That looks fantastic! I just found a Tri tip here at my local Kroger. I have never seen it here in Ohio before. I plan on trying your rub on it here this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

The rub was good, but I went a little too light on it. I could have used more rub on the meat and less smoke. That's the beauty of keeping a smoking log and the more details put in the better the next time (hopefully).

Scottie, let me know how it turns out!

Dert, that looks amazing! I definitely over cooked mine. I'll have to keep in mind your idea of searing to finish it!

My overdone tri-tip did however make for a delicious sandwich today for lunch!

Dirt,
Yeah, I over thought the temp. I was thinking brisket cooks to a high IT maybe the Tri-tip would be similar.... Not so much!

The good news is I have plenty of rub left and will give it another go after Christmas... With my new AMNPS!

Dirt,
Yeah, I over thought the temp. I was thinking brisket cooks to a high IT maybe the Tri-tip would be similar.... Not so much!

The good news is I have plenty of rub left and will give it another go after Christmas... With my new AMNPS!
If you can purchase tri-tip in your area your already ahead of the game.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky