Mmmmmm Pork Pies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
It's been a while since I contributed anything so I thought I'd see If I can't change that. I'm also not sure where to post it, but being that it's mostly sausage, I’m sticking it here.

This recipe was giving to me by a master sausage maker some of us here know, who goes by the handle of Brican. And It's hands down one of the best things I've cooked in a long time.

These pies are a traditional snack in the UK from what I understand and are eaten cold.. But are awesome warm too. It's basically a pork sausage wrapped in a hot water pastry and baked till golden brown then injected with pork jelly while warm to fill and voids left by the meat shrinking.

This is my first attempt at one and after almost devouring it in one sitting I know it will become a family favorite comfort food in no time.

I just made a small batch of mini pies using a muffin tin and now I'm sitting here waiting for them to cool, so I thought I'd throw this up for your pleasure.

I'd be happy to post the recipes for the sausage, pork jelly and the crust if anyones interested... until then here's a pic of the hot mini's.

Thanks for looking at my pies....Feels good to post some food again....If I ever can find were I packed half my sausage stuff I'll be posting like a regular again

Last edited:
Reactions: disco and crazymoon
It's been a while since I contributed anything so I thought I'd see If I can't change that. I'm also not sure where to post it, but being that it's mostly sausage, I’m sticking it here.

This recipe was giving to me by a master sausage maker some of us here know, who goes by the handle of Bri-can. And It's hands down one of the best things I've cooked in a long time.

These pies are a traditional snack in the UK from what I understand and are eaten cold.. But are awesome warm too. It's basically a pork sausage wrapped in a hot water pastry and baked till golden brown then injected with pork jelly while warm to fill and voids left by the meat shrinking.

This is my first attempt at one and after almost devouring it in one sitting I know it will become a family favorite comfort food in no time.

I just made a small batch of mini pies using a muffin tin and now I'm sitting here waiting for them to cool, so I thought I'd throw this up for your pleasure.

I'd be happy to post the recipes for the sausage, pork jelly and the crust if anyones interested... until then here's a pic of the hot mini's.

Thanks for looking at my pies....Feels good to post some food again....If I ever can find were I packed half my sausage stuff I'll be posting like a regular again
Looks GREAT!  Please do post the recipe.

Happy smoken.

David

Yes Dan!!! Recipes please...
biggrin.gif

They look fantastic!

Bill

Example of Buster wearing a "Pork Pie Hat" for those of you too young to know what my friend Foam meant. It's not easy being our age… 

That being said, These pies look awesome.  And YES! please post the recipe. I'd like a swing at bat on these. 

Brian 

Thanks for the nice comments, here's the recipes.

Stock Ingredients (Pork jelly or aspic)
A few pork bones
A pig’s trotter or a very small hock
1 onion, halved and studded with six cloves
A stick of celery, chopped in half
Six black peppercorns
Parsley, thyme and bay leaves
Roughly 2 litres of water
Put all the ingredients in a pan and then gently simmer for 3-4 hours, skimming off any scum as necessary. Strain the stock then leave in the fridge overnight or until well chilled and set to a jelly. Scrape off the layer of fat on top and the stock is then ready to be re-heated.

Hot Water Pastry
290g Water
315g Lard
800g Strong white flour (bread flour)
30g white sugar
10g salt

Place lard and water into pan and bring to a boil -- be very careful as this
can do so serious burns, in a separate bowl combine the flour, salt and sugar,
add the lard water mix and using a folk mix well.

As soon as you can, kneed on a clean counter top (do NOT uses flour on the
surface while kneading) -- kneed until smooth to the feel. Cover with clean
cloth and let cool.

Sausage Spice Mix
448g white pepper
14g best ground cloves
20g ground nutmeg
14g cayenne pepper
1000g fine salt

This is a bulk recipe, enough for 170 pounds of meat. Scale it down to what works for you.
Use 8.8 grams of spice for each pound of meat.

Example (10.25 lbs meat x 8.8 = 90g spice .)

Make your jelly ahead of time and keep it in the frig till needed.

I also made up the pastry a couple days before hand and kept it in the frig till needed. Then pull it out a couple hours ahead of time to let it soften up some.

For the meat I used a pork butt as you want the fat. Hand dice the pork into small cubes (1/2 inch or less) place into a container, add spices and mix by hand until all meat is covered and there is no loose spice remain in bowl. Coarse grind once only as this will give you a better texture.

I used a pickle jar as a mold to form the large pie. Place a flattened out ball of dough on you work surface and press the jar into then work the excess pastry up the sides to form a cup.

Fill the pastry with the meat mix, then roll out circle of dough for a top crust. apply an egg wash to the rim of the pastry bowl and cap it with the crust. Be sure to seal the top and side together well, then poke a whole in the top for the steam to vent.

Cook @ 425 degree F oven preheated - center of oven -- cook for 25 minuets.

Warm up your jelly stock and inject into pie while still warm as this will keep them moist.

Last edited:
Yes, would love the recipe. Would frozen puff pastry dough work with this?

I don't know why it wouldn't.
But after making the recipe Brican gave me I don't think I like them half as much.

Nice job on the pies! Have to give them a try; always looking for something different. One question, for the pastry dough recipe; how many pounds of sausage will that take? I know there are a lot of variables but an approximate starting weight would be helpful. Thanks for the post.

Thanks Dan for the rendering of the recipe, being a new kid on the block and having been tramp on prity hard by another forum I have shied away from posting on this forum

A very respected friend (whom you all know very well) has been up my way hoping to learn my (bad) curing habits and at the same time having some fun.

A year ago he was up to see me and would have loved to sample the pies that I make but due to his beef allergy was restricted to the turkey pies, I did make him a pork pie but had to leave out the gelatine due to the added mix which contained beef. This year he came in with friends and was looking forward to sampling another of the pork pies but alas I was out so he settled for pork (Cumberland) sausage

The look on his face was such that his bottom chin was just about touching the ground and for such a tall lad that was mighty far. To appease the sadness I stayed up to the very early hours of the morning building his very own pork pie, by time it was finished (jelly stock included) it top the scale at 2kg

The following was just before I jelled it

Nice job on the pies! Have to give them a try; always looking for something different. One question, for the pastry dough recipe; how many pounds of sausage will that take? I know there are a lot of variables but an approximate starting weight would be helpful. Thanks for the post.
I put 75g - 85g of meat to each pie --- the batch of pastry will between 36 - 42 and that includes the lids (tops)

Each shell takes about 90g of pastry 

HTH

Thanks for the info Robert, and again thanks for the recipe. I'm not sure what I like more about it, the pastry or the sausage.

Hi Dan,

So glad to see a post from you again!! And you had me at pig trotter, too!

Your pork pies look amazing. Coming into our rainy season now, so comfort foods are where my cooking thoughts are heading. This completely fits the bill. I love to see ingredients like trotter and lard in a recipe, you just know it is going to be really tasty and with great texture.

Thanks for posting and sharing your process, and thanks also to Brican for the original recipe!
Clarissa

I am so bookmarking this. I love British pork pies. My dad used to buy them from a butcher when I was a kid.

Thanks!

points1.png

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky