Mmmmmm Pork Pies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
AWESOME... I love me a meat pie.... Dan, on the mini ones did you leave them in the pan to bake or remove them ?... the 25 min. in the oven... is that for the large one or the mini's ?

Dan, on the mini ones did you leave them in the pan to bake or remove them ?... the 25 min. in the oven... is that for the large one or the mini's ?
Hey Keith that 25 min was for the big one, But I meant to mention that my cooking time was different...Not sure if it's my oven but after about 15 minutes it was almost as brown as I wanted so I lowered the temp to 350 and probed it till it was over 165° f internal.
for the small ones I started at 425 again for about 10 minutes then removed them to a cookie sheet and lowered the temp again for another 15 minutes. (I read somewhere while researching that removing them would brown up the sides and bottoms, but they were already brown when I transferred them so I don't think it was necessary. Must be from all the lard. but I have to admit, I'm not much of a baker.

This really off the charts AAAA+  cooking.
drool.gif
A beautiful thing that people keep doing the classics. That pastry is really old school,& pretty fair test of any kitchen or cook.
439.gif

Great stuff.
thumb1.gif

I have no clue what you are talking about?

But they sure do look great.

I can't wait to try these!

Thanks for the post.

Good luck and good smoking.

Looks very interesting, home made bread? or bought.  Home made sausage or bought?  Could it me injected with pepper jelly, that I make?  Sorry more questions than answers......Keep up the good work and thanks.

<<I just made a small batch of mini pies using a muffin tin and now I'm sitting here waiting for them to cool, so I thought I'd throw this up for your pleasure.>>

I'm new to this thread so sorry for the late reply but....  These look great!!!!

drool.gif

Dinner this week??  I definitely think so!

Because porkbutt doesn't always come in nice and even sizes, I created a spreadsheet to calculate the spices for the sausage recipe. I will be trying this recipe this weekend.

Here is the link to the folder: http://squirejoe.com/bbq/

Its the sausage1.xls file there.

This is based on a weight of 170 pounds of pork, as listed in the recipe above.

To adjust to the weight of the amount of deboned pork, just replace the weight in pounds in the orange cell and it will automatically adjust to the weight of the spices in grams.

This is a "Use at your own risk" spreadsheet. I have not attempted this recipe, and am going off of simple division to generate the numbers.

Your mileage may very.

I read this yesterday and have not been able to get it off my mind. From the "pork jelly" to the hot water patry dough - this has some great tips.  

Converting the grams to 'normal' measurements took a little effort (google). (grin)

It was a joke - I know that many great cooks use metric/weight measurements - I'm just a gringo.

None of the numbers seem to work for me.

Using that tiny amount of seasoning per pound of ground pork is insignificant I think.  Makes me wonder if it is actually for 170#'s of meat ... a PILE.

Also adding the weights of the flour, lard and water and trying to get (32) 90g bowls & lids seems to be impossible.  I'd say that it would make closer to 8-9

Has/can anyone verify these measurements are accurate?

Using Google I see pork pies are all over the place for ingredients.

Last edited:

None of the numbers seem to work for me.

Using that tiny amount of seasoning per pound of ground pork is insignificant I think.  Makes me wonder if it is actually for 170#'s of meat ... a PILE.

Also adding the weights of the flour, lard and water and trying to get (32) 90g bowls & lids seems to be impossible.  I'd say that it would make closer to 8-9

Has/can anyone verify these measurements are accurate?

Using Google I see pork pies are all over the place for ingredients.
If you are using the numbers from Dan I can say that they are right unless he did a typo (I will av a butchers)

I will also scale things down so it will be easier to make small batches -- I normally make between 250 - 500 at a time

If you are using the numbers from Dan I can say that they are right unless he did a typo (I will av a butchers)

I will also scale things down so it will be easier to make small batches -- I normally make between 250 - 500 at a time

Thjose look perfect.

How do you get them formed so nice and how do you get them uniformly brown like that ... must be more to the story.

When you make the cup how high do you fill it with meat to keep it from boiling out when it gets hot?

Had a ploughmans lunch at a little cafe this week & got half a pork pie as well as the ham,cheese,bread,pickles etc. Great lunch in hot weather.Pork pie was pretty traditional version ,hard to fault.

Never heard of pork pies but they look awesome!

Adding this to the list of things to try. Thanks for posting recipe and GREAT JOB!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky