Mixing dough in the food processor .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Been messing around with this for awhile . Gives really good results . BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma , tropics tropics I don't have an exact recipe for this , because I add the dry to the bowl of the food processor , then spin it up and add the liquid just until it pulls away from the sides .
I start with 2 cups of flour . Use what you have , or like . Then put warm water in a 2 cup measure . I add the water around 110 degrees .
The yeast , salt and sugar varies . I use less yeast for thin pizza crust , more for bread , rolls or thick crust pizza .
I did these rolls awhile back , but the loaf of bread in the Chuck flat thread was made the same way .
So as a starting point for rolls or bread , to the 2 cups flour I added ,
2 tsp yeast
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
Put that in a food processor and spin it up to combine .
20210124_163753.jpg 20210124_163818.jpg
I use water out of the tap . Mine comes out pretty warm . Let it cool , and add around 110 degrees
Looks like I used Rapid rise . I think that was all I had at the time . Use what you have .
20210124_163919.jpg
Spin the food processor , and drizzle the water in slowly , just until it pulls away from the sides .
You won't use all of the water .
20210124_164918.jpg
The measuring cup was over the 2 cup line . You can see it didn't take much to
come together . Some days it takes more . Depends on the weather .
20210124_164923.jpg
If it's a bit sticky I use Olive oil to keep it from sticking to my hands .
Adding flour dries it out . If it comes away from the sides clean you should be good .
Oil a bowl , turn the dough onto itself . Let it double in size .
20210124_165124.jpg
After the first rise , I punch it down . I either shape it for a loaf , or split it for rolls .
Let rise again .
20210124_173442.jpg 20210124_173600.jpg
Was pretty cold in the house when I did these . Had a hard time getting them
to rise . Sprayed with non stick oil and added some everything bagel seasoning
to the top .
20210124_180157.jpg 20210124_180258.jpg
That dish is about 30 years old . Seen alot of use , and Lasagna .
20210124_172138.jpg
Cooked in the 360 .
20210124_180332.jpg
I temp all my breads between 190 / 200 .
Or look for a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom .
I tab some butter on top when they come out of the oven .
20210124_182140.jpg 20210124_182436.jpg
Cut open .
20210124_190134.jpg
Here's another batch . Same method . Better rise .
20201206_154819.jpg 20201206_170011.jpg
20201206_181024.jpg 20201206_184351.jpg
These have great flavor and fantastic chew . The idea is you're getting a correct amount of
wet to dry by adding it this way , instead of using a set amount of liquid .
Just a hands on approach .

Rich Big Thanks saving this
Richie
You bet bud . So it's just a hands on way of doing it . You could start with 3 cups of flour . Increase the other dry ingredients , then add water 'til it pulls away clean .

Looks great and a wonderful step-by-step Rich, Like. My food processer didn't make the move here from CA, been tossing around getting another. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great and a wonderful step-by-step Rich, Like. My food processer didn't make the move here from CA, been tossing around getting another. RAY
Ray I goofed up , because I just realized I forgot to tag or mention you . This process started , because I was using your roll recipe . It just kind of turned into this " adjustable " method .
I bought that processor when they had a model change . I got it at a good price . It wasn't cheap . I think I paid $200 , but it's a good one . We use it a lot .

Rich I have been weighing my flour 4.25 oz = a Cup
That has been giving me pretty good results will see how it works with your twist
Richie

Yeah . I still do weigh it out if I use the mixer .
Let me know if you try this . I think I'll mix some up today .

Rolls look great! Great looking piece of old pottery! You cannot beat a food processor for versatility. Bought our first Cuisinart in the mid '70's, the CFP 5 when it was introduced. Still gets a lot of use. Also have a Cuisinart DLC XP which is used for the really big jobs. I would really like to get the Robot Coup R2 but that will never happen.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Looks delicious! Might have to give this a try. Kinda reminded me of my aunt that lived down the road... whenever I stopped to visit she would bake me a plate of cookies ( like 4) . Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

Great looking rolls, Rich.
Our kitchen is always kept cool, so getting dough to rise was a problem. I solved that by digging out an old electric heating pad we had in the closet. I checked out the temps, with my instant read therm, at each of the 3 heat settings and found that when set on low the temp stays at a constant 100F--perfect for proofing dough. I always proof the dough twice, and the heating pad gives me a constant temp and great results.
Gary

Rolls look great! Great looking piece of old pottery!
Thanks for the comments . I have several pieces of that pottery . Great stuff . Stuff gets baked on this one , and I can't get it off .
You cannot beat a food processor for versatility.
This is the first one I've had . I have to agree .
Looks delicious! Might have to give this a try.
Thanks Ryan .
Oh ya, I can smell it from here!
We don't have the space for a lot of kitchen gadgets. Just a Ninja blender and the KA mixer.
Those are 2 good ones to have .
Great looking rolls, Rich.
Thanks Gary . They don't last long .
old electric heating pad
That's a great idea .

Last edited:
Nice work. No food processor here either, just the KA. I think the last batch of buns, turned out like hockey pucks. Might have mixed too long. Haven't mastered the dough thing yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky