Mississippi Roast- Now with pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drunkenmeatfist

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 28, 2017
While I was making Pepper Stout Beef a few weeks ago I thought that I could use the same basic idea to make a Mississippi Roast version of the pulled beef. Decided I will give it a shot today.

My plan is to rub it and smoke it for a few hours. Then I will throw it in a pan on a bed of onions and use either beef broth or beer in addition to the regulars in the recipe of pepperochinis, ranch seasoning, and au jus seasoning. Has anyone else done this? Any tips anyone wants to throw out? I'll post some pictures as this goes.

Sounds like a good plan,I just use French onion soup wrap and wait till it falls apart. Save me a sammich please.

Here it is after about 3.5 hours. IT was about 160. Smells good
IMG_0026.JPG

Headed to the oven to rest with peppers, onions, seasonings, and potatoes. Threw some butter in there too.
IMG_0027.JPG

Looking Real Good, so far---It'll be Awesome!!:)

Going to about 200°--203°IT ???

Bear

Here it is finished up. Didn't get a pic of the sandwiches that were made, too busy eating. Had very good flavor, but lacked the twang you get from normal Mississippi Roast. People loved it and said that the recipe was a keeper. However, next time I will add more pepperocini in the pre-sliced variety.

I also couldn't get the liquid to reduce much. Left in the oven uncovered for about 40 minutes and that didn't seem to work. Overall it was a success, but still a work in progress.

IMG_0028.JPG

After 40 minutes of being uncovered, maybe a full hour would have done the trick. Also the potatoes tasted like nothing which doesn't happen when I do this the traditional way.

IMG_0029 - Edited.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinAl
I also might consider adding another layer of the ranch seasoning when I start the uncovered phase of the cook.

It sure looks like fine eats from here.

Point for sure.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky