Miss My Greek Mom's Halupkis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
When I saw Bear's post regarding his Birthday Halupkis it made me wonder:

Growing up in the small steel town of Homestead PA we had a large population of Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, and Hungarian families. Wonderful hard working, kind, and friendly people. Many of my childhood friends were from those families. I had some of the greatest "hand grenades" when I was invited to dinners at their homes. Even my emigrant Greek Mother learned how to make them from our neighbors. I miss those carefree days and those wonderful dinners. Unfortunately like a dummy I never learned how to make them from my mom. Even today I wish I had an authentic recipe to try!

Does anyone have an authentic Eastern European Region recipe that they would be willing to share and satisfy my intense craven?

I miss you mom,

John

These are classic cabbage rolls in my home region
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/another-take-on-cabbage-rolls.257849/#post-1781160

These are a more rustic approach...ate them a lot while spending summers at my grandma's
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-coarsely-ground-corn-and-smoked-hock.262224/

Thanks Atomic,

Appreciate the response. . . . These two recipes definitely look authentic. Not quite the way my mom made them but definitely authentic.

Thanks,

John

Funny how you started the thread on the day we took a bag of cabbage rolls out of the freeezer to cook. My wife usually rolls large batches and freezes some. Makes a quick weeekday dinner.

Funny how you started the thread on the day we took a bag of cabbage rolls out of the freeezer to cook. My wife usually rolls large batches and freezes some. Makes a quick weeekday dinner.

You sir, are a lucky dog!

John

Maybe your mom, being Greek, was making them with lemon sauce. I understand that's how Greeks make them.

Another Mediterranean take is stuffed grapevine leaves. Same filling, different "shells".

Don't remember her adding lemon juice to the Halupkis because I believe she followed our neighbor's recipe pretty closely. Neighbor was Polish.

I was smart enough to learn how to make the stuffed grapevine leaves and they are magnificent! I make them all the time for special occasions. The all rice filling are the most popular and most liked. Of course, being 100% Greek, I cannot go on without carrying on this traditional dish.

John

Don't remember her adding lemon juice to the Halupkis because I believe she followed our neighbor's recipe pretty closely. Neighbor was Polish.

I was smart enough to learn how to make the stuffed grapevine leaves and they are magnificent! I make them all the time for special occasions. The all rice filling are the most popular and most liked. Of course, being 100% Greek, I cannot go on without carrying on this traditional dish.

John
Awesome. I almost always order them as an app when eating at greek places.

NP

Technically it's two :)

Gary s had a cabbage rolls thread
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/halupki-aka-cabbage-rolls.245224/

Show us your work when you make these.

Last night I made the Halupkis that Gary s had posted and shared with us on the Forum which was supplied to me by Atomicsmoke. . . . All I can say is that they were Magnificent!

Unfortunately I did not have time to post pictures but next time I will definitely post a step by step and photos.

Thanks to both of you! It was like I was back at my childhood home in Homestead eating my mom's recipe.

Almost like dying and going to Heaven. . . .I hope!

Thanks again guys,

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky