Mini Sausage Fest

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by tjohnson, Sep 11, 2011.

1. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Busy day today....

20# Italian Sausage

25# Sage Breakfast Sausage

10# Cheddar Brats

10# Pepper Jack Brats

I shop SAMS Club early in the morning, and can usually find meat that's been marked down.  I found (2) packages of pork butts that were marked down to $1.49/lb.and figured they would be great for sausage.  I also save my pork trim from ribs and previous pulled pork, and added it to the mix today.

Italian Sausage Seasoning came from Beer-B-Q and had good flavor.  I'm a "Freak" for Fennel and Caraway, so I added extra to the mix.  Other than this, the seasonings was very good

The Sage Breakfast Sausage is a recipe I've made before.  It's got great flavor and the Sage is not overpowering.

The seasoning for the Brats came from Beer-B-Q and was FANTASTIC!!!  I added some Hi Temp Cheddar and High Temp Pepper Jack to the meat.  We grills some at noon for lunch, and they were AWESOME!!!

Long day and glad it's all over!

THANKS For Lookin'!!

Todd

Pork Shoulders From SAMS Club

[​IMG]

My Boys Helping Grind 50# of Pork Shoulders and Pork Trim

[​IMG]

I used an Italian Sausage Seasoning from Beer-B-Q and added a little

Roasted Caraway and Fennel Seeds.  I've never roasted the Caraway and Fennel Seeds Before, but What a Difference Roasting Them Makes!

[​IMG]

Seasonings and Extra Roasted Caraway & Fennel Seeds Added

[​IMG]

20# of Italian Sausage Stuffed in 1# Bags Ready for the Freezer

[​IMG]

Sage Sausage Mixed and Ready to Stuff in 1# Bags

[​IMG]

Sage Sausage Stuffed in 1# Bags & Ready for the Freezer

[​IMG]

10# Cheddar Brats and 10# Pepper Jack Brats

[​IMG]

Brats Vac Packed and Ready for the Freezer

[​IMG]

2. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

Found a use for that hi temp cheese from Butcher Packer did ya? [​IMG]

Looks good Todd!

3. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Thats what I'm S C R E A M I N G [​IMG]

looks good

Keith

4. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Awesome todd.............[​IMG]           Your long day is time well worth spent on making your own sausage and espacially spending time with your kids..... My son is now 20 and I miss those younger years when dad was everything...........kodos to ya 

Joe

5. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yummy you can feed the whole Neighborhood.and you got two good looking Assistants.

6. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Wow Todd, you were a busy boy!

I can almost smell those brats on the grill!

7. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yup!

Ordering more cheese & spices today
    ME TOO!
    My kids want to help, and that's cool with me!

They usually get involved when I'm smoking meat or making sausage.

Just trying to start some traditions that I can pass on to the next generation.
    I share with a few neighbors.  One is a meat buyer for a large restaurant chain, and occasionally gets "Samples" of meat for me to grind or pork bellies to cure for bacon.  Gotta keep him happy!
    They were the best brats I've made from a packaged mix.  I had to add NOTHING, other than Hi Temp Cheese.

Got them from Beer-B-Q and will do them again!!

THANKS GUYS!

Todd

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  8. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great !!!

Now you're ready!!!

And the boys will enjoy eating the sausage a lot more, since they worked so hard making it !!!

Thanks for the pics!

Bear

9. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

You have some good eats there Todd and it all looks real good. I think its just great that those 2 good looking boys wanted to help Dad...My son is 40 now and lives far away so enjoy those boys while you can...

10. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Heck yeah

Looks great Todd, and you got some of the best helpers anyone could ask for.

[​IMG]

11. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That's a great looking load of sausage, Todd!  I'll have to get some of Paul's bratwurst seasoning.  Summer is coming to an end and I haven't made any brats yet.[​IMG]

12. tjohnson

That's exactly why I made the brats with cheese!

We all enjoyed fresh brats on the grill for lunch.  This way, the kids could see the process start to finish.

Of course, they were no where to be found at clean up time!

TJ
    It's really hard to compete with SpongeBob, Pokeman and the Wii these days.  We really try to incorporate other activities and the sausage making is a good distraction.  I cherish every minute i get from them now, cuz soon it won't be "Cool" to hang with Dad.

TJ
    Thanks Rick!

Means a lot coming from the "Sausage King"

TJ

What you waiting for?

Yes, Paul's seasoning was right on for me!

I've had other Brat mixes, and had to add extra spices.

The other thing I liked, is Pauls' Brat Mix is for 8-10# of meat, so the batch is manageable.

Go for the added cheese, it's worth it!  i added 1 cup per 5# meat and it was just enough cheese.

TJ

13. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

WOW Todd, I even help with the clean-up! [​IMG]

14. fishwrestler

fishwrestler Smoking Fanatic Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Todd,

Looks fantastic! I love seeing other people with their kids cooking. I know my kids love the time with Dad and enjoy fruits of their labor after the fact.

Robert

15. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That looks awesome!  The boys look pretty happy to help too!!!!

16. That looks great. Time well spent with your kids. I remember making sausage with my family when I was a kid, 40 years later I am doing it with my kids.

17. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    looks great todd....toasting some spices brings out the oils, try it with black peppercorns too.

18. dewetha

dewetha Smoking Fanatic

spectacular. so what are shipping cost to the Chicago area ;)

19. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Awesome job Todd. Congrats on getting the boys involved. I need to get some of that spice from Paul too. His stuff is really good.

20. smokeamotive

smokeamotive Smoking Fanatic

And I thought I was busy this weekend with mine! You really cranked it out there Todd. Glad to see you had some help there. Please tell me about roasting your spices, I haven't tried that before and it sounds very interesting.